Idiyappam | Rice Noodles | Nool Puttu - தமிழ் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு விரைவில்
Idiyappam is a culinary speciality in Sri Lanka and throughout the Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka. The name idiyappam derives from the Tamil and Malayalam word idi (meaning beat) and appam, (meaning pancake).
The dish is also, frequently, called noolappam or noolputtu, originating from the Tamil and Malayalam word nool, meaning string or thread.
Other names for Idiyappam?
Idiyappam, also known as nool puttu or string hopper, or noolappam, is a rice noodle dish originating from the Indian states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu and as well as from Sri Lanka. The dish also spread to Southeast Asia, where it is called putu mayam in Malaysia and putu mayang in Indonesian.
How to make kerala style rice flour based idiyappams?
Idiyappam | Rice Noodles | Nool Puttu | With step by step pics & video. Idiyappam, a popular South Indian breakfast dish made of very few ingredients like rice flour and hot water. It consists of rice flour pressed into noodles, woven into a flat disc-like shape and steamed.
Tips to keep in mind while kneading the dough:
Keep on mixing and when the heat is tolerable then you can begin to knead using your hands. Note that the dough has to be hot when you knead.
Knead to a smooth and soft dough. If the dough looks dry then you can sprinkle some warm water on it and continue to knead. If the dough becomes sticky then add a few tablespoons rice flour and knead.
It is typically served with coconut-based curry, coconut milk, or vegetable stew. Sometimes with grated coconut sprinkled with sugar. Moreover, this culinary staple food is typically eaten with chicken curries, fish curries or mutton curries also. In Indonesia, putu mayam is called Putu mayang and is served with palm sugar mixed with coconut milk.
What to do with the left-over idiyappams?
The leftover idiyappam is used to make idiyappam biryani or idiyappam upma with veggies or plain tempering alone.
Let us see how to prepare kerala special rice flour based idiyappam.
Idiyappam | Rice Noodles | Nool Puttu | String Hoppersநெறி: காலை உணவுஉணவு: கேரளாடிபிகல்ட்டி (சிரமம்): சுலபம்
Idiyappam | Rice Noodles | Nool Puttu | With step by step pics & video. Basically these are sevai or seviyan made with rice flour dough.
1 cup rice flour
1¼ cup of water
உப்பு - தேவையான அளவு
1 தேக்கரண்டி நெய்
செய்முறை விளக்க வீடியோ
- Before you begin making the dough, grease ghee on idli pans & idiyappam maker and keep ready.
- Preparing Dough
- Firstly, in a Kadai take 1¼ cup of water, add salt & bring it to boil.
- Meanwhile, add 1cup rice flour in a mixing bowl & add 1/4tsp ghee. Mix well.
- Then add the hot water into the rice flour.
- Begin to mix with a spoon or spatula. mix very well.
- Keep on mixing and when the heat is tolerable then you can begin to knead using your hands. ( Note that the dough has to be hot when you knead)
- Knead to a smooth and soft dough. If the dough looks dry then you can sprinkle some warm water on it and continue to knead. If the dough becomes sticky then add a few tablespoons rice flour and knead.
- Making Idiyappam
- Heat 2 cups of water(or water required) in the pan used to make idiyappam. Keep water on low to medium flame.
- Divide the dough into 2 to 3 portions. Prepare a log from one portion and place it in the idiyappam maker.
- Cover the rest of the dough with a kitchen napkin so that they don’t dry out.
- Now begin to press the idiyappam maker directly on the idli molds in a concentric round circle.
- This way continues to make idiyappams on all the idli molds.
- Now place the idli stand in the pan & cover the pan.
- On medium to high flame steam idiyappams for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove the idli stand from the pan & allow it to rest for 2min.
- Then remove the idiyappams from the idli pan.
- Serve the idiyappam with grated coconut or any coconut-based gravies of your choice.
- Note that the dough has to be hot when you knead.
- If the dough looks dry then you can sprinkle some warm water on it and continue to knead. If the dough becomes sticky then add a few tablespoons rice flour and knead.