Tomato Chutney | with step by step pics & video | This chutney is a tangy and tasty South Indian chutney made from tomatoes, onion, and spices. There are many variations of making tomato chutney based on each region. An ideal recipe for south Indian breakfasts like Idli & dosas. It can be served along with rotis and parathas also.
Tomato chutney is an easy condiment made with tomato & spices. There are many types of tomatoes available in the market. Here I normally get these types of tomatoes which has a sour tangy taste.
So for this chutney, I am not going to use extra tamarind. If you are using the sour-less type of tomatoes add tamarind to this chutney.
How to make tomato chutney?
Each south Indian hold may have a different recipe for tomato chutney based on their taste. A spicy and tangy recipe prepared from tomatoes. This chutney can be easily stored in a cool and dry place for weeks. In this recipe, we roast together ripe tomatoes & onion till tomatoes become mushy. Followed by blending them along with spices.
Tomato ChutneyCourse: Chutney VarietiesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Tomato Chutney | with step by step pics & video | This chutney is a tangy and tasty South Indian chutney made from tomatoes, onion, and spices.
1tbsp gingelly oil
1 tsp urad dal
1/4tsp mustard seeds
1 or 2 garlic cloves
1 small piece ginger (1″ inch size)
2 Kashmiri red chilies
1 large onion thinly sliced
3 medium-sized tomatoes chopped
a pinch of asafoetida/hing
1/2 tsp chilly powder
salt as required
1/4tsp mustard seeds
- Heat 1 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan. Crackle 1tsp urad dal & 1/4 tsp mustard seeds.
- Now add in 1 garlic clove, 1″ size ginger & 2 dried Kashmiri red chilies.
- Followed by 1 big sized onion thinly sliced & a pinch of hing/ asafoetida.
- Saute the onions until it turns translucent.
- Now add in 2 or 3 chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Cover & cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add 1/2tsp chilly powder, salt as required & mix well.
- This step is completely optional. I love to add sugar to this recipe to increase the taste. So I am adding in 1/4tsp sugar.
- Now switch off the flame & allow the mixture to cool down.
- Now transfer the mixture into a blender & blend it to smooth paste without adding water.
- Crackle 1/2 tsp mustard seeds in 1/2tsp oil.
- Pour the temper over the tomato chutney & serve with hot idlis & dosas.