Tamil Nadu Fish Curry | Tamil Nadu fish curry is a way different from Kerala style, in the way of using tamarind. In Kerala, they use kudampuli, which is way different from tamarind.
Spices from each state differ a lot too. In the same way, dishes also differ. I am born and bought up in Kerala but I’m a Tamilian, so I know the difference of spices used in both states. Furthermore, do check out our other fish recipes.
- King fish 1/2kg (any fish of your taste)
- gingelly oil 3 tbsp
- mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- shallots 5 to 6 finely chopped
- tomatoes 1 medium size finely chopped
- sprig of curry leaves
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1tsp thinly chopped ginger
- tamarind a small lemon size
- Salt to taste
- 1cup grated coconut
- 10 nos shallots
- 3tsp Fish masala
- 1/4tsp Sambar masla
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze to remove the pulp. Strain and set aside.
- Grind coconut and shallots to a fine paste as well.
- Take grinded coconut masala in a curry pot, add in tamarind juice,.
- Add fish masala, sambar masala & adjust for water consistency.
- Now let this masala mixture boil for nearly 15 min in low flame. Cover and simmer till oil separates.
- Now add in fish pieces, garlic cloves, sliced ginger & tomato pieces and cook till fish is done.
- Mean while, heat oil in a kadai/pot. Add in mustard seeds and let them sizzle.
- Now add in shallots, and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering mix into fish gravy.
- Sprinkle little oil at last for extra taste.
- Fish curry ready to be served with rice. Enjoy:)