Spicy Prawns Tawa Masala | Easy & Quick to do Masala Recipe | with step by step photos and video. A simple yet delicious dish packed with a lot of flavors. The recipe is quite easy and most of the ingredients are those great spices from our Indian cuisine.
Prawns cook very fast and has a lot of water content in it. The trick to make this dish perfectly is by cooking the masalas before adding the prawns. f you overcook prawns will be chewy or rubbery In this recipe, the prawns are 90% cooked separately and then added with the masala spices.
How much time to cook prawns?
Prawns normally cook within a matter of minutes. In general, medium-sized prawns take 3-4 minutes to cook, large prawns 5-8 minutes and jumbo prawns take around 7-8 minutes. The prawns are cooked when their flesh has turned pink and opaque throughout.
Is it necessary to devein prawns/shrimp?
When you buy prawns or shrimp you will notice a thin, black string down its back. Although removing that string is called deveining, it is actually not a vein. It is the shrimp’s digestive tract, and its dark color means it is filled with grit.
The decision to devein shrimp or prawns is basically a matter of personal preference and aesthetics, not hygiene, and the vein is not harmful to the human body if eaten. Most cooks will not bother deveining medium-sized or smaller shrimp unless they look particularly dirty. If the vein is visible through the shell and meat, and if you find the digestive tract unappealing and unattractive, then it makes sense to remove it. With large ones, it is fairly easy to devein them: Use a sharp paring knife to make a slit along the back and lift out the vein with the tip of the knife.
Why the name tawa masala?
The whole recipe is cooked in a frying pan or a tawa. The large circumference makes it easier for the recipe to cook uniformly. You can prefer any other pan of your choice.
How to cook Spicy Prawns Tawa Masala?
Spicy Prawns Tawa Masala | Easy & Quick to do Masala Recipe | with step by step photos and video. Firstly, cleaned and deveined prawns are toasted and cooked in spices. These cooked prawns are kept aside and in the same pan the masala spices are cooked. Once the masala is well cooked the cooked prawns are toasted in the masala and a hint of lemon juice. This is simmered for around 2 minutes to enhance the flavor. Finally, add some freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve it along with rotis or rice varieties.
Furthermore, I would like to highlight some of our trending delicious sea food recipes from our non-veg collections. In addition kindly check our prawns masala recipe using coconut milk. You will surely love this.
Spicy Prawns Tawa MasalaCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Spicy Prawns Tawa Masala | Easy & Quick to do Masala Recipe | with step by step photos and video. A simple yet delicious dish packed with a lot of flavors.
450 gm Prawns (Cleaned & Deveined)
- Toasting Prawns
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
- Prawns Masala
1 tbsp Oil
2 to 3 Green Chilies (Based on the spice level of chilies)
Small Cinnamon Stick
1 tbsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
1 tbsp Garlic (Finely Chopped)
Few curry leaves
1 Large Onion ((Finely Chopped)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
11/2 tsp Coriander Powder
11/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Fennel Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 Large Tomato (Finely Chopped)
1/4 cup Hot Water
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
Salt as needed
Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Firstly, clean and devein the prawns. While cleaning I add a bit of turmeric powder too.
- Now heat a tawa and add 1 tbsp oil. Swirl the pan such that the oil touches all around.
- Once the oil is heated, add the cleaned prawns followed by 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and salt required for the prawns.
- Mix & Saute them over a medium flame. Prawns starts to release its water and starts to change its color around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once the water is evaporated, switch off the flame & keep the cooked prawns aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbsp oil. Add 2 to 3 green chilies, followed by crushed spices(2 Cardamoms, 1 Clove and a Small Cinnamon Stick). Saute them over a low flame until aroma rises.
- Now add 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger and garlic. Saute, until the raw smell disappears.
- Then add 1 large onion or 2 small onion finely chopped. Saute until it turns golden color.
- Let us add the spices one by one: 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 11/2 tsp Coriander Powder, 11/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder, 1 tsp Fennel Powder and 1/4 tsp Garam Masala.
- Roast the spices for 10 seconds over a low flame.
- Add in 1 large tomato finely chopped and the salt required for the masala. Mix them.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes turn mushy. Now add 1/4 cup hot water and cook until oil is separated.
- Masala is ready. Add in the sauted prawns kept aside along with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Coat them well with the masalas. Check for saltness.
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp pepper powder & mix well.
- Switch off the flame add some chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot along with any rotis or rice varieties.
- Make sure not to overcook prawns.