Spicy Mutton Roast Recipe | Mutton Fry | with step by step description, photos & video. A pan-fried mutton recipe. Tender goat meat, juicy from inside. A delicious recipe, where the mutton is pressure-cooked & simmered in a spicy onion & masala gravy flavored with spices.
Making this easy mutton recipe at home will give you the liberty to control the quality as well quantity of this dish. Apart from that making this meat delicacy at home simply amps up the hygiene and health factor as the ingredients used are usually of good quality. If you have fussy eaters, this dish can make for a nice starter or appetizer
How to choose mutton for this recipe?
Choose tender & bone-in mutton as it tastes the best. The mutton is cooked with the bone, which adds more flavor. Once cooked, the tender and soft mutton falls off the bone.
How to make Spicy Mutton Roast?
Spicy Mutton Roast Recipe | Mutton Fry | with step by step description, photos & video. pairs well with any kind of rotis & steamed rice. Firstly, dry roast the whole spices. Then blend them to a fine masala paste which is then roasted with the pressure cooked mutton pieces. Lastly, this is a very spicy dish. Increase or decrease the no of red chilies and green chilies as per your tolerance.
Follow me on Social to get instant updates
Spicy Mutton Roast RecipeCourse: Sides, AppetizersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Spicy Mutton Roast Recipe | Mutton Fry | with step by step description, photos & video. A pan-fried mutton recipe. Tender goat meat, juicy from inside
- For Pressure Cooking Mutton
3/4 kg Mutton (bone-in small cut pieces)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt as required
1/4 cup of water
- Masala Preparation
1″ inch sized cinnamon stick
3 red chilies
2 green chilies
5 to 6 garlic cloves
1″ inch size ginger (roughly chopped)
10 to 15 shallots
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander powder/seeds
some fresh curry leaves
1/2 cup of water
- Preparing Mutton Roast
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 medium-sized onions finely chopped
some fresh curry leaves
- Pressure Cook Mutton Pieces
- Wash & clean 3/4 kg mutton pieces & add it to a pressure cooker.
- Followed by 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt as required & 1/4 cup of water. Mix well & pressure cook for 2 whistles over high flame & 5 minutes over low flame.
- Switch off the flame & wait for the pressure to be released.
- Preparing the Masala
- Meanwhile, heat a pan.
- Add the whole spices (4 cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1-star Annise, 1″ inch sized cinnamon stick), 3 dried red chilies, 2 green chilies, 5 to 6 garlic cloves, 1″ inch size ginger (roughly chopped), 10 to 15 shallots, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp coriander powder/seeds & some fresh curry leaves.
- Dry roast them over a low flame until the aroma starts to pop out from the spices.
- Once done, switch off the flame & allow it to cool down.
- Grind it to a fine paste using 1/2 cup of water & keep it aside.
- Preparing the Spicy Mutton Roast
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a cooking pan.
- Add 2 medium-sized onions finely chopped & saute until it changes to golden brown in color.
- Now add the freshly ground masala paste & mix well.
- Add the mutton stock from the pressure cooked mutton or add-in 1 cup of water. Adjust the salt & cook until the masala is cooked.
- Once done, add in the cooked mutton pieces.
- Dry roast the mutton pieces along with the masala paste.
- Add some fresh curry leaves & fry until the mutton pieces become dark brown in color.
- Serve hot with paalappam, Idiyappam, chappati, or steamed rice.
- I recommend using small red onions and freshly ground pepper for more flavor and taste.
- This is a very spicy dish. Increase or decrease the no of red chilies and green chilies as per your tolerance.