Spicy Duck Roast Masala | Traditional Recipe using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. Spiced with pepper, green chilies, and simmered in a creamy coconut milk gravy. Perfect for a hearty meal.
Unlike the roast duck, where the whole duck is roasted with herbs and spices, this succulent dish is prepared with a spicy gravy, rich in flavours and fried to perfection. Though it goes best with palappams, it will add flavour to any bread or rice varieties too. Festive lunch in Kerala Christian homes are considered incomplete without special recipe.
A much loved Syrian Christian food, and to be found at all special occasions including Wedding, Christmas and Easter feasts. This is one of those famous street side fast food dish from Kerala.This spice-rich masala preparation of Kerala has regional variations.
How to prepare spicy duck roast masala recipe?
Spicy Duck Roast Masala | Traditional Recipe using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. The duck is cooked in a coconut milk gravy. 3 cups of coconut milk used here is the mixture of 1st, 2nd and 3rd extracted coconut milk from 2 cups of grated coconut. The meat is cooked in this coconut milk until it is tender. Moreover, this recipe is going to be little spicy. If you are not a spicy person do reduce the number of green chilies and the amount of red chili from this recipe. Furthermore, based on your choice you can make this recipe a gravy one too.
Spicy Duck Roast MasalaCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Spicy Duck Roast Masala | Traditional Recipe using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. Spiced with pepper, green chilies, and simmered in a creamy coconut milk gravy.
1/2 kg Duck (Medium-cut, Cleaned & washed)
3 to 4 tsp Oil or Coconut Oil
3 Medium-sized Onions Finely Sliced
1 tsp Salt + Salt as required
4 tsp Ginger Finely Chopped
4 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped
3 to 4 Green Chilies Sliced
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 to 3 tsp Chilli Powder
2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
3 tsp Coriander Powder
1 Medium-Sized Tomato Finely Chopped
4 cups of Coconut Milk
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Fennel Powder
1 tsp Pepper Powder
- Firstly, wash & clean duck pieces. Drain them & keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tsp coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
- Add 3 medium-sized onions finely sliced. Saute until onion turns light brown in color & reduces to half in amount. For easy saute add 1tsp salt & mix well.
- Then add 4 tsp Ginger Finely Chopped, 4 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped & 3 to 4 Green Chilies Sliced.
- Saute until raw smell disappears & onion turns juicy as shown in the picture.
- Now roast the spices: 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder, 2 to 3 tsp Chilli Powder, 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder, 3 tsp Coriander Powder, Curry Leaves until raw smell disappears over a low flame.
- Followed by 1 medium-sized finely chopped tomato. Mix it well. Cover & cook until tomato turns mushy.
- Add the cleaned duck pieces. Mix & coat it well with the masalas.
- Now add 3 to 4 cups of coconut milk. This coconut milk is a combination of first, second & third extracted milk from 2 cups of grated coconut.
- Mix & check for saltness. Cover & cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until meat becomes tender over a low flame.
- Now our meat is cooked perfect. At this stage add 1 tsp Garam Masala 1 tsp Fennel Powder, & 1 tsp Pepper Powder. Mix well.
- Based on your preference, if you want it in a semi-gravy consistency switch off the flame at this stage.
- I prefer a dry duck roast so wait until its roasted perfectly.
- Now oil is separated along the sides. Switch off the flame & serve the spicy tasty duck roast masala.
- This is a spicy dish so based on your spiciness you can decrease or increase the amount of green chilies and red chili powder.