Soft Milk Cake Paal Cake -Tea Stall Snack. Milk cake is a very popular tea stall sweet snack recipe from Kerala. This snack is loved by most of the malayalis and even these snacks are very popular among our present generation also.
The aroma of just milk and sugar cooked for a couple of hours can melt away any kind of stress! Paal cake has a crispy crust with soft juicy inside. Video is available in the link at the end of the page.
- 1.5cup wheat flour
- 2-3tbsp milk powder
- 1/8 tsp baking powder(optional)
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2tsp cardamon powder
- 1 Egg
- 2 to3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2tbsp butter(melted)/ghee/oil
- 1/2cup lukewarm water/milk
For sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1cup water
- Mix with milk instead of water if you do not have milk powder.
- Try to use melted butter at the most. Use oil, only if you do not have butter/ghee.
- Take a mixing bowl & start adding the dry ingredients one by one.
- Firstly add wheat flour & 3tbsp milk powder, followed by cardamon powder, salt & baking powder.
- Since we added baking powder its better to mix the mixture thoroughly using a whisk or a spoon & keep it aside.(Adding baking powder is optional)
- Now take another bowl & start adding an egg followed by melted butter/oil/ghee & 2tbsp powdered sugar.
- Now mix this using a whisk till sugar is dissolved completely.
- Be cautious: not to add more powdered sugar & milk powder.(3tbsp is more than enough for this amount of flour)
- Now add the mixed dry ingredients into this bowl & start kneading the dough.
- Its better to knead the dough with our hands, by adding lukewarm water/milk in intervals.(Mix with milk instead of water if you do not have milk powder)
- Knead it to a soft dough and flatten the whole dough using a rolling pin. Try to flatten the dough to a square shape with 1cm thickness.
- Now cut the dough into pieces of approximately 1 inch width & 3 inch length. (For reference see the video below)
- Keep the cake pieces aside.
- Now heat a pan & start making sugar syrup by boiling 1/2cup sugar & 1cup water. Once the sugar syrup gets thickened & becomes sticky consistency, switch off the flame & keep it aside.
Frying the cake pieces
- Now take a frying pan & add enough oil for frying the cake pieces.
- Once oil is hot, start adding the cake pieces into the hot oil & fry both the sides on low-medium flame till it turns into golden brown.
- Do remember to fry in low flame to let the cake cook inside properly.
Soak in sugar syrup
- Now transfer the cakes into the sugar syrup.(make sure sugar syrup is hot while transferring the cakes into syrup.)
- Stir mix the cakes in the sugar syrup.
- Now cakes will start to absorb the sugar syrup.
- Soak in sugar syrup for atleast 10min.
- Delicious tea stall milk cakes are ready to be served.