Semiya Upma Recipe | Vermicelli | with step by step photos and video. A popular south Indian breakfast dish. Upma recipes are very common in many south Indian households.
An easy, and light recipe, made from vermicelli. A traditional type of pasta similar to spaghetti along with a mix of vegetables and spices. This is one of the most fulfilling and delicious meal to prepare. Typically it is prepared with semolina, but these days the recipe is easily extended to other ingredients like vermicelli, oats, broken wheat and also millets.
What is Vermicelli or semiya?
Vermicelli is a traditional type of pasta similar to spaghetti. Semiya are either made from whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour or rava (semolina). Moreover, while making semiya upma, I prefer semiya made from whole wheat flour as they are more healthy than the ones made from maida.
How to make semiya upma recipe?
Vermicelli Upma| with step by step pics & video. This recipe is similar to the traditional rava upma just by replacing it with vermicelli. This recipe has many variations and may differ with vegetables. Firstly, semiya is cooked separately & strained. In addition, mixed with some extra vegetables, along with a hint of lemon juice on the topping.
Furthermore, do kindly check out our other breakfast recipes also. Hope you would enjoy them.
Semiya Upma RecipeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Semiya Upma Recipe| Vermicelli | with step by step pics & video. A popular south Indian breakfast dish which is also known as vermicelli upma.
1 cup Semiya/vermicelli
2 tsp+3tsp oil
Salt as required
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp chana dal
2 red chilli
Fresh curry leaves
1 tbsp Finely chopped ginger
2 ½ cup water
1 green chilly finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped carrots
2 tbsp cooked green peas
2 tbsp chopped beans
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Roasting semiya
- For that add 2tsp oil in a pan , followed by 1cup vermicelli.
- Roast it over the low-medium flame by stirring continuously till it turns to a golden brown. (If you have roasted vermicelli you can avoid this step)
- Cooking semiya
- Let us cook vermicelli now. In a pan add some water along with 1/2tsp salt. Once it starts to boil add in the roasted vermicelli. (If you have not used oil while roasting vermicelli now you can add 1tsp oil along with hot water to avoid stickiness)
- Close the pan & boil for 3min. Once cooked strain the water & keep vermicelli aside.
- Preparing Semiya Upma
- Add 1 tsp oil in a preheated pan. Add in 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal & 1/2 tsp chana dal. When mustard seeds starts to splutter add fresh curry leaves, dried red chilly, chopped ginger & chopped green chilly.
- Saute till ginger turns golden color. Now add in 2 tbsp onion, 2 tbsp carrots, 2 tbsp green peas, 2 tbsp beans.
- Saute for 1 min over high flame. Then add in 1/4 tsp turmeric powder & salt as required. Saute for 2 min.
- Add cooked semiya & mix well for 2 min.
- Our semiya upma is ready to be served.
- For a nice flavor add 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (optional) before serving.
- If you have not used oil while roasting vermicelli you can add 1tsp oil along with hot water to avoid stickiness.