Rava Upma | Sooji Upma | Easy & healthy morning breakfast recipe | with step by step pics & video. Rava upma is a south Indian savory breakfast made with semolina, spices and curry leaves. Upma is usually served with coconut chutney, sugar, lemon slices, or lemon pickle. It can also be had plain.
Upma is not only delicious but also a healthy breakfast option. This version of South Indian upma is how I make it at home and adapted from my mom’s recipe.
Time requirement for making this rava upma recipe?
Making upma does not take much time and can be done in 10-15 minutes if you have the roasted semolina ready. A comfort breakfast recipe any day, any time.
Things to remember while making Rava Upma (Sooji Upma)?
Rava Upma | Sooji Upma | Easy & healthy morning breakfast recipe | with step by step pics & video. I had tried a lot of proportions of rava & water. But the best & every time failproof proportion is shared here. I adapted this from my mom. She says while making rave upma rava to water proportion should be 1:2, while for a rava kesari it is 1:3. This is the correct proportion for a good textured rava upma recipe.
Before using rava, roast rava on low to medium heat until fragrant, around 5 to 6 minutes, stirring continuously. Sooji shouldn’t turn brown from the bottom so be careful. Remove sooji from pan and transfer it to another bowl.
You can also add veggies to rava upma. Now let us see delicious healthy rava upma is made. You can see my other breakfast recipes here. Furthermore, you can see our other breakfast recipes here.
Rava Upma | Sooji UpmaCourse: Breakfast, Upma varietiesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Rava Upma | Sooji Upma | Easy & healthy morning breakfast recipe | with step by step pics & video.
1 cup rava
1/4tsp urad dal
1/4tsp mustard seeds
5 to 6no cashewnuts
fresh curry leaves
1/2tsp grated/finely chopped ginger
1 or 2green chilies
1/4cup finely chopped onion
1tbsp grated coconut(optional)
2cups of water
salt to taste
- Roasting Rava or Sooji
- Add in 1cup of rava to a hot pan.
- Roast Rava on low to medium heat until fragrant, around 5 to 6 minutes, stirring continuously. Sooji shouldn’t turn brown from the bottom so be careful.
- Remove rava from pan and transfer it to another bowl.
- Preparing Rava Upma
- Heat 2tsp ghee in a kadai.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds & let it crackle.
- Add 1/4tsp urad dal & fry till it becomes golden color.
- Immediately then add cashews and begin to fry. by the time, the cashews get golden the dals would also get golden.
- Add in 1/2tsp chopped ginger, 1 or 2 chopped green chilies, fresh curry leaves & 1/4cup finely chopped onions.
- Stir & saute for a minute.
- Now add in 2cups of water & check for seasoning.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame to its lowest. Then add the rava slowly by stirring continuously without forming lumps.
- Quickly stir and mix very well. The rava grains absorb water and thus swell and get cooked.
- Cover and allow the rava upma to steam for 3-4 minutes on the low flame.
- Add in 2tbsp grated coconut & mix well. This step is completely optional.
- Then switch off the flame. Here the rava is cooked and the rava upma is ready to be served.
- Adding 1:2 water ratio correctly works for me. Do try this way & check.