Puttu recipe with Homemade Rice Flour | Pachari Puttu | Raw Rice Puttu | Pacharisi puttu | with step by step photos and video. One of Kerala’s traditional breakfast items. Puttu is usually served with Banana, pappadam or Kadala curry. The puttu made with homemade rice flour is softer and tastier too but requires additional work.
Puttu is one of the favorite breakfast in Kerala which is also very easy to make. Nowadays you can even buy ready to use puttu powder in all the stores. There are many variants of puttu like pachari, matta , Kappa, Rava, wheat, etc….
How to make puttu with homemade rice flour?
Puttu recipe with Homemade Rice Flour | Pachari Puttu | Raw Rice Puttu | with step by step photos and video. A common type of recipe that is loved by all. Here we are using a Chiratta puttu mold for making this recipe. We have to soak the raw rice in water for 3 to 5 hrs. Once soaked drain off and grind to a fine powder. In addition, we would love to add some grated coconut and mix the flour before cooking, for an extra taste. Furthermore, do not squeeze the rice flour while filling in the mold.
Homemade rice flour in general terms is ground rice used to make several Kerala breakfast items. Though these days we get rice flour from stores but this is a keeper recipe. The store brought flour is good too, but at times we try to make our own batch of puttu podi and love that homemade flour more than the store brought. You can save this recipe to make your own batch at home
Puttu recipe with Homemade Rice FlourCourse: Main, BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Puttu recipe with Homemade Rice Flour | Pachari Puttu | Raw Rice Puttu | with step by step photos and video. One of Kerala’s traditional breakfast items.
1 cup raw rice or pachari or pacharisi
water for soaking
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp grated coconut
- Soaking the Raw Rice
- Take 1 cup of raw rice in a bowl. Clean and wash the rice for 2 to 3 times.
- Soak the cleaned rice for 3 to 5 hrs in 2 to 3 cups of water.
- Once soaked drain off the rice from the water and transfer it to a medium-sized mixie jar.
- Add the required or 1/4 tsp salt and pulse it a few times. Then, grind it for a minute.
- Now, transfer the ground rice flour to a mixing bowl.
- Our puttu flour is ready.
- Making Pachari/Pacharisi/Raw Rice Puttu
- Add 2 tbsp of grated coconut to the ground rice flour and mix it well. This step is optional.
- Let us start filling the puttu mold. We are using a cheratta puttu mold. You can use any kind. Place the round perforated disc with holes inside the puttu maker such that it fits well at the bottom of the mold. Place 1 layer of grated coconut (1 tbsp ) at the bottom of the puttu maker.
- Carefully and slowly add the rice flour as the next layer and close the lid. Do not squeeze the rice flour while adding.
- Preheat 2 to 3 cups of water in a cooker and place this mold over the cooker whistle vent or nozzle.
- Steam it for 10 minutes. (Once the steam starts to come through the holes of puttu mold reduce the flame and steam for 5 to 7 minutes)
- Demold and serve the soft warm puttu with Groundnut (Kadala Curry), Green gram curry (Cheru payar), Cowpea ( Vanpayar ) curry or any curry of your choice. The most preferred choice of our family is banana with a slight sprinkle of sugar.
- We have to soak the raw rice in water for 3 to 5 hrs.
- Furthermore, do not squeeze the rice flour while filling in the mold.