Prawns Masala Recipe | Using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. A simple yet delicious dish packed with a lot of flavors. The recipe is quite easy and most of the ingredients are those great spices from our Indian cuisine.
Prawns cooks very fast and has a lot of water content in it. The trick to make this dish perfectly is by cooking the masalas before adding the prawns. That way the liquid from the prawns will be enough for the masala. If not by adding water, the whole masala will become watery. If you try to dry up the liquid the prawns will get overcooked & rubbery.
How to make prawn masala recipe using coconut milk?
Prawns Masala Recipe | Using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. Firstly, clean the prawns & devein them. I am washing them in turmeric water. It is optional. Prepare the masala & roast the spices in the masala. Then add in the prawns & cook until it releases the water. Once done add the thick coconut milk & allow the masala to induce the flavor of coconut milk. This dish can be prepared within 20 minutes. So easy to make this dish. The secret ingredient I am adding in this recipe is a dash of fennel powder & freshly ground pepper powder.
Furthermore, do check out our other seafood recipes. Hope you would like them.
Prawns Masala Recipe | Using Coconut MilkCourse: Sides, MasalaCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
1/4 kg cleaned & deveined prawns
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
fresh curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
salt as required
1/2 cup thick coconut milk
Prawns Masala Recipe | Using Coconut Milk | with step by step photos and video. A simple yet delicious dish packed with a lot of flavors.
- Firstly, devein the prawns and clean them in turmeric water. Keep them aside.
- Now, heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a kadai.
- Add 1 cup of finely chopped onion. Saute until it turns translucent.
- Then add 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic & 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute until the raw smell disappears and add some fresh curry leaves.
- Followed by 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 1/4 tsp cumin powder.
- Roast the masala for 30 seconds over low flame.
- Furthermore, add 1/2 tsp garam masala & 1/4 tsp fennel powder. Mix them well.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes & saute until it turns mushy.
- Now add the prawns & combine them evenly with the masala.
- Cover and cook the prawns with the water released from the prawns. Make sure do not overcook prawns. (Do not add extra water)
- Once the moisture from the prawns is dried, add in the thick coconut milk.
- Adjust the salt & mix it well.
- Cover & let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes over a low flame.
- Lastly, add 1/2 tsp of freshly powdered pepper powder & give a nice mix.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves & serve.
- Make sure do not overcook prawns. Do not add extra water.