Pineapple Pachadi Recipe | Madhura Curry | with step by step photos and video. Traditional Kerala side dish, made with pineapple in a coconut yogurt-based sauce. Pachadi is served as a side for meals. Usually prepared with vegetables or fruits. There are plenty of varieties of pachadi.
A very quick and simple dish that can make within a short span of time. The most awaited part of the Onam festival is the traditional sadhya – or the lavish vegetarian feast served on a fresh plantain leaf. A typical Sadhya can have about 24–28 dishes served as a single course. In cases where it is a much larger one, it can have over 64 or more items. Actually this recipe constitutes an integral part of the Onam sadhya.
How to make Pineapple Pachadi?
Pineapple Pachadi Recipe | Madhura Curry | with step by step photos and video. Deliciously sweet-sour tasting dish made with pineapple, coconut, mustard seeds, and curd. The recipe comes from Kerala cuisine.
The flavors of pineapple pachadi are complex with a sweet, sour & tangy taste, with a blend of flavors. There is also some pungency from the ground mustard seeds and a bit of heat and spiciness coming from the green chilies. The highlight of this pachadi is the sweetness of coconut and the sourness of curd. The tempering of mustard and dry red chilies in coconut oil adds another dimension in the taste.
Furthermore, do check out my other Onam sadhya recipes also. Hope you would like them.
Follow me on Social to get instant updates
Pineapple Pachadi RecipeCourse: SidesCuisine: KeralaDifficulty: Easy
Pineapple Pachadi Recipe | Madhura Curry | with step by step photos and video. Traditional Kerala side dish, made with pineapple in a coconut yogurt-based sauce.
1 cup Pineapple (Grated)
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 cup Curd
3 Green Chillies
1/2 cup Coconut (Grated)
4 to 5 Grapes
Salt as required
- For Tempering
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 to 4 Red Chillies
- Firstly slice the pineapple into small pieces & crush it for 10 to 12 sec.
- Heat a pan and add the crushed pineapple, ¼ cup sugar & ¼ cup water. Mix well and start cooking.
- Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder & add the required salt. Saute until the pineapple is cooked well. I love to have a thicker consistency for this dish so I am sauting until it becomes dry.
- Switch off the flame & keep it aside.
- Prepare the masala
- For the masala add ½ cup grated coconut, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 3 to 4 green chilies & ¼ cup thick curd into a blender.
- Crush it coarsely. Then add ½ tsp mustard seeds to the coarse mix and again grind all the ingredients.
- Preparing Pachadi
- Heat the pan again & add this masala mix to the cooked pineapple.
- I am adding little water to this mix also. Saute until the raw smell of masala disappears.
- Switch off the flame & add 3 to 4 grapes also. Mix well & keep aside.
- Let us prepare the tempering. For that heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Splutter ½ tsp mustard seeds.
- Then add 3 to 4 red chilies & some curry leaves.
- Switch off the flame & add this tempering to the pineapple pachadi.
- Yummy & tasty side dish for Onam sadhya is ready to be served.