Payyoli Chicken Fry | Traditional Calicut Style Fried Chicken | with step by step photos and video. A dry chicken fry with the authentic malabar flavours. Payyoli is a place situated in the north Malabar coast of kerala. This dish is very popular in payyoli. It is very simple to follow the authentic Malabar flavours.
A tasty and simple chicken fry recipe. This spicy and yummy chicken fry is quite popular in payyoli, a place situated in the North malabar coast of Kerala. Do try this delicious recipe.
Why the name, payyoli ?
Payyoli, a small municipal town on the Malabar Coast in Kerala, is popular for this tasty fried chicken. Moreover, this dry chicken dish has all the coastal flavours, an absolutely finger licking good recipe. This spicy chicken fry is quite popular.
A great starter or can also be served as a side dish with rice or rolled inside rotis. This authentic Kerala recipe requires only few ingredients Try this authentic recipe in your kitchen and enjoy the goodness of Kerala cuisine.
Serve the fried chicken as a starter for your house parties. Moreover, you can serve it as part of a meal that includes steamed rice.
How to make payyoli chicken fry?
Payyoli Chicken Fry | Traditional Calicut Style Fried Chicken | with step by step photos and video. A simple yet delicious fry recipe sauted in fried coconut spices. Firstly, the recipe requires a special marination which is prepared by grinding the hot water soaked dried Kashmiri red chillies along with some spices. The chicken is marinated with this ground red chilli paste and many flavourful spices. Further, the chicken is deep fried in coconut oil. In another part, the grated coconut is mixed with this ground red chilli paste before frying it in coconut oil. Deep fry this coconut mix till golden. Take care not to burn the coconut. The fried chicken is served with crispy and spicy fried coconut, curry leaves and green chillies. Do keep in mind , the heat in the coconut cooks it even after it is taken from the pan.
Further, I would like to highlight our trending Honey Glazed Chicken, Chicken 65 | Juicy Fry Recipe, Chicken Nuggets, Tandoori Chicken With Mint Chutney, and Chicken Steak Recipe | Grill Chicken with Veggies. Hope you would enjoy them too.
Payyoli Chicken FryCourse: Starter, SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
450 gms Chicken
4 tbsp Grated Coconut
Salt as required
- For Grinding
8 Kashmiri Red Chilies soaked in hot water
3 Garlic Cloves
10 small Onions
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- For Preparing Marination
2 tbsp Corn Flour
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Pepper Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Coconut Oil
Payyoli Chicken Fry | Traditional Calicut Style Fried Chicken | with step by step photos and video. A dry chicken fry with the authentic malabar flavours.
- Firstly, soak 8 Kashmiri red chillies in hot water for 10 minutes. Use more chillies if you prefer more spicy.
- Drain & transfer them to a small mixie jar.
- Add 3 Garlic Cloves, 1″inch Ginger, 10 small Onions and 1 tsp Fennel Seeds to the mixie jar.
- Ground it to a coarse paste and keep aside.
- In a plate or bowl, take 2 tbsp Corn Flour, 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Pepper Powder, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala, 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder, 2 tsp Lemon Juice, Salt, coconut oil and 3/4 of the crushed masala.
- Start mixing. Add water little by little & form a smooth paste.
- Gash the chicken pieces using a knife.
- Marinate the chicken pieces using the prepared masala.
- Cover & keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Take 4 tbsp grated coconut in a bowl. Add the remaining crushed chilli along with 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mix it well.
- Now heat 5 tbsp coconut oil in a pan.
- Fry some curry leaves and green chilies. Drain off the excess oil & keep them over a kitchen tissue.
- In the same oil, fry the coconut until golden. Drain off the excess oil & keep them over a kitchen tissue.
- In the same oil add the marinated chicken pieces one by one. If needed, add some extra oil.
- Fry each side for 5 to 8 minutes over a low to medium flame. Flip & fry until all the sides are cooked perfectly.
- Now remove from oil and serve the chicken with fried curry leaves, green chilli and coconut. Serve hot.
- Take care not to burn the coconut while roasting.
- You can increase the no of Kashmiri red chillies if you want it be more spicy.
- Use coconut oil for that authentic taste.