Paruppu Vada Recipe | Masala Vada | with detailed step by step photos and video. An ideal evening tea time crispy and crunchy snack. A crispy & savory deep-fried fitter is a popular street food of South Indian cuisine. It is also known as masala vada.
A spicy fitter or snack recipe prepared from soaked and coarsely grounded chana dal/peas dal & spices. The process for making this recipe is simple & takes very little time rather than the time required for soaking the dal.
How to make Paruppu Vada?
Paruppu Vada Recipe | Masala Vada | with detailed step by step photos and video. You can make this recipe using many kind of dals. I am going to use the authentic dal used for this recipe. It comes in a variety of names like, vada dal/matar dal/peas dal/chana dal.
Basically, it is prepared by grounding the soaked split chickpeas/chana dal or Bengal gram coarsely and then spiced with chilies, onion, and other dry spices. While grounding the chana dal, do not add any water to make a coarse paste. It has to be dry or otherwise, it may absorb more oil while deep frying. The prepared batter is then deep fried till it is crisp golden in color.
Paruppu Vada Recipe | Masala VadaCourse: SnacksCuisine: South IndianDifficulty: Easy
Paruppu Vada Recipe | Masala Vada | with detailed step by step photos and video. An ideal evening tea time crispy and crunchy snack.
1 cup matar dal/chana dal
2 green chilies
2 dried red chilies
1/2 cup onion/shallots
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
3 sprigs of curry leaves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Firstly, in a large bowl wash and soak 1 cup chana dal, to 2 hours.
- Further, drain off the water and rest for 10 minutes. So that all water will be drained off.
- Mean while, let us mix all the other ingredients in a bowl starting by ½ cup finely chopped onion or shallots, 2 sprigs of curry leaves, 1 tbsp crushed ginger, 2 green chilies finely chopped , ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds & ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida/kaayapodi (optional). Mix well & keep aside.
- Transfer the strained dal, 2 dry red chilies & curry leaves to a blender and blend to a coarse paste without adding any water. Keep aside 3 tbsp dal & mix at last for a crunchy bite.
- Now transfer the coarse dal paste into bowl. Add the kept aside whole dal along with the other ingredients.
- Add the required salt & combine everything evenly using a spoon or our hands.
- Grease your hands with oil or water & pinch lemon sized balls out of the dal mixture. Press it firmly over your palm & flatten the vada.
- Heat oil in kadai & drop the shaped vada in hot oil.
- Cook in medium flame until golden. Flip in between so that both sides are evenly golden and crisp.
- Crispy vadas are ready to serve.
- Do not add water while grinding the dal.
- Grease your hands with oil or water to avoid the stickiness of the dal mix on our hands.