Olan Recipe | with Ash Gourd | with step by step photos and video. The traditional dish of Kerala enriched with coconut milk. Any Sadya traditional Kerala feast is incomplete without olan on the menu. A delicious curry made with white pumpkin (ash gourd or kumbalanga), black-eyed brown beans, and coconut milk. Gluten-free and vegan.
An important part of Onam Sadhya dishes and also one of the simplest recipes. It tastes delicious with a nice fragrance of coconut oil. Olan can be prepared with or without the red cowpeas/brown beans.
Benefits of Ash Gourd?
Ash gourd comprises 96% water and is very low in calories, fat, protein, and carbs. Yet, it remains rich in fiber and provides small amounts of various nutrients
How to make olan recipe?
Olan Recipe | with Ash Gourd | with step by step photos and video. Recipe for Kerala Olan made with white pumpkin / ash gourd simmered in coconut milk and black-eyed pea. This recipe includes ash gourds or white pumpkins and cowpeas, flavored with coconut milk, coconut oil, and fresh curry leaves. This is a less spicy dish so everyone including children enjoys it. Since olan is a coconut milk-based curry, thus it pairs very well with steamed rice or Kerala red rice (matta rice).
Furthermore do see our other onam sadhya recipes. Hope you would like them.
Olan RecipeCourse: Sides, CurryCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Olan Recipe | with Ash Gourd | with step by step photos and video. Recipe for Kerala Olan made with white pumpkin / ash gourd simmered in coconut milk and black-eyed pea.
1/2 cup Brown Beans
2 cups of white pumpkin/Ash Gourd
1 or 2 Green Chillies
1/4 cup Coconut Milk (1st extract)
1 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (2nd extract)
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
Water as required
Salt as required
- Firstly let us soak ½ cup of brown beans in normal water for 3 to 4 hrs. (or soak in hot water for 2 hrs)
- Now let us pressure cook these soaked beans along with half a cup of water. Pressure cook over high flame for 1 whistle.
- The beans are well cooked. Transfer it to a clay pot &Keep it aside.
- Next, let us cut the ash gourd for the recipe. Peel off the skin of ash gourd & remove the seeds. Then make medium square cuts.
- Put the vegetable cuts in water until it is cooked.
- Now pressures cook this veggies along with 4 to 5 green chilies (the green chilies I am using here are not spicy, so when you use it, just 1 green chili will be enough)
- Pressure cook over high flame for 1 whistle. Once cooked transfer it along with the cooked beans.
- Now, let us prepare the coconut milk for the olan recipe.
- Add 1 ½ cup of grated coconut to a mixie jar. We need ¼ cup 1st coconut milk extract & 1 ¼ cup 2nd milk extract.
- So add ¼ cup lukewarm water & extract the 1st coconut milk. Then add 1 ¼ cup of lukewarm water & extract the 2nd coconut milk.
- Pour the second extracted coconut milk to the cooked veggies mix & combine them well.
- Now switch on the flame & cook until the gravy gets thickened. Cook it by continuous stirring to avoid the coconut milk getting curdled.
- Add salt as required.
- Once the gravy is reduced to half & thickened, switch off the flame & now pour the 1st extracted coconut milk. Stir well to avoid curdles.
- Sprinkle some curry leaves & 1 tbsp coconut oil. Combine everything well.
- Sadhya special olan recipe is ready.