Mushroom Dum Biryani | with step by step photos and video. A dum style veg version of biryani. It has delicious layers of flavored rice and mushroom masala topped with fried onions, cashews and raisins.
How to make mushroom dum biryani?
Mushroom Dum Biryani | with step by step photos and video. The rice is cooked along with spices such as cloves, cardamom, and some other spices that makes it flavorful. cooked in ghee, which gives it a distinct aroma. Moreover, the layers of this fragrant rice are topped with masala, fried onions, cashews and raisins.
A lot of prep work is required for making this layered mushroom biryani. To ease the process let us divide the biryani into following steps:
Rice: For making layer biryani’s, I prefer to use basmati rice for dum biryani. For any biryani, the first step is to soak the rice for at-least 20 minutes to half an hour. The soaking helps in keeping the grains separate when cooked later-on. You can either use a cooker or an heavy bottomed vessel to cook rice. Always 1:2 ratio of rice to water works for basmati rice cooking. We should be very careful in cooking the rice to the desired consistency. Cook the rice to 80% and let the rice cool down. The remaining process of cooking rice is done in the dum process.
Roasting Nuts & Raisins: Nuts and raisins add a great flavor to this dum biryani. If can skip using the nuts and raisins, if you do not like.
Deep Fried Onions: Another thing about dum biryani is the addition of the wonderful crispy deep fried onions called the birista or the bristha as a layer in the process of dum.
Cooking Mushrooms: Mushrooms are cooked in an onion-tomato gravy with spices.
Once all the prep works are over, next step is layering them and then cooking them in dum.
Dum for Biryani: Start layering the biryani in a heavy bottomed vessel by adding the layers of rice, mushroom gravy and fried onions and cashews one by one. Close the vessel air-tight using a lid or seal the vessel using a foil paper & then close the vessel using the lid. Then place the vessel over a hot tawa and dum for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Mushroom Dum BiryaniCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Mushroom Dum Biryani | with step by step photos and video. A dum style veg version of biryani.
- Soaking Rice
11/2 cup Basmati Rice
4 cups of Water
- Mushroom Masala
1 tbsp Oil
1 Big-Sized Onion Thinly Sliced
2 to 3 Green Chilies
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Fennel Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 Small Sized Tomato Finely Chopped
250 gms Button Mushrooms Sliced
Salt as required
Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Frying Dry Fruits and Onion
2 tbsp Oil + 1 tsp Ghee
5 to 10 Cashews
1 cup Thinly Sliced Onions
2 to 3 tbsp Pineapple Chopped (optional)
- Preparing Rice
1 Star Annise
1/2″ inch Sized Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
3 cups of Water
Salt as required
Juice of Half Lemon
Soaked & Drained Basmati Rice
- Soaking Rice
- Firstly, soak 11/2 cup of Basmati Rice in 4 cups of water for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Once soaked drain the water and keep it aside.
- Preparing Mushroom Masala
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai.
- Saute 1 big sized onion thinly sliced over medium flame until it turns translucent.
- Now add 2 to 3 green chilies and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Then add 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder and 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder.
- Roast the masalas for 30 seconds over low flame.
- Now add a small sized tomato finely chopped & cook until it turns mushy.
- Further add 250 gms chopped mushrooms and combine it well with the masalas.
- Add the salt required & mix well.
- Cover and cook for 7 to 10 minutes over a low flame. Mix in between.
- Once cooked, add some fresh coriander leaves, mix well and keep it aside. Our mushroom masala is ready. Keep it aside.
- Prep Works
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
- Fry some cashews and raisins over a low flame. Drain from oil and keep it aside.
- In the same oil add 1 cup thinly sliced onion. Fry it over a low-medium flame until it turns crisp. Drain from oil and keep them aside.
- Preparing Rice
- Further, heat a heavy bottomed vessel. Use the same oil & saute 2 Cloves 1 Star Annise, 1/2″ inch Sized Cinnamon Stick, 2 Cardamoms, 1 Bay Leaf and 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds over a low flame.
- Now add 3 cups of water, salt as required and juice of half lemon. Keep the flame over high.
- Mix well. Once it starts to boil add the soaked and drained rice.
- Mix well. Cover & cook the rice over a medium flame for 15 minutes or until rice is 80 to 90 % cooked.
- Switch off the flame & make sure no water is left out. Keep it aside.
- Preparing Dum
- Heat a tawa over low flame.
- Mean while, grease some ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Now start layering the cooked rice, mushroom masala & roasted cashews, raisins and onion one by one.
- Cover with foil or air tight lid to seal the pot. Place it on the hot tawa and cook for 15 to 20 mins over low flame.
- Switch off the stove & serve the hot dum biryani.