Murungakkai Sambar| Drumstick Sambar Recipe. An easy & simple south Indian favorite sambar recipe made with toor dal and drumsticks. It is perhaps the most popular sambar recipe which can be served for both rice and also any breakfast recipes.
How to make murungakkai sambar ?
Drumsticks sambar recipe is a south Indian cuisine. We can add in or substitute the veggies as we prefer. Here I am using shallots & drumsticks with a blend of sambar powder spices. Also, you can use store brought sambar powder if you do not wish to prepare homemade sambar powder.
For preparing sambar powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil/any oil of your choice
- ½ tsp methi / fenugreek
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin / jeera
- 5 to 8 dried red chillies/20 Kashmiri chilies
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- few curry leaves
- pinch of hing
For Preparing Sambar
- 3 tsp oil
- 1tsp mustard
- 2 dried red chillies
- pinch hing
- few curry leaves
- 5-10 shallots, crushed /sliced
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 10 to 15 pieces of drumstick
- 2 cup cooked toor dal
- ½ cup tamarind extract
- finely chopped corriander leaves
Preparing Sambar Masala
- In a tawa heat 1 tsp coconut oil and saute ½ tsp methi/fenugreek seeds.
- add ¼ cup coriander seeds, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp urad dal and 1 tsp chana dal.
- roast on low flame until spices turn aromatic.
- Further, add dried red chillies, a pinch hing and few curry leaves. saute on low flame until chillies puff up.
- Transfer the spices into mixie jar and blend to a fine powder.
For preparing Sambar
- In a pressure cooker cook dal by adding 2 cups of toor dal & 5 to 6 cups water. Keep it aside.
- Firstly, in a large kadai heat, 3 tsp oil, and splutter tempering.
- Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Then add 1 tomato. Saute until tomatoes are soft.
- Further, add ½ tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp sambar powder, and 1 tsp salt.
- Saute for a minute until spices turn aromatic.
- Add in cut pieces of drumstick and cook well.
- Now add the cooked dal and 1 cup water.
- adjust the consistency adding water as required. cover and boil for 5 minutes or until flavors are absorbed well.
- Add ½ cup tamarind extract and stir well.
- Boil for 5 to 10 minutes or until the raw flavor of tamarind is gone.
- Finally, add coriander leaves and enjoy drumstick sambar with hot steamed rice.