Mango Rice Porridge | with step by step photos and video. A delicious bowl of porridge made by boiled rice, rice water and mangoes. Recipe here uses a modern version of porridge. Mango season is here and I do not want to miss even a single rice of mangoes.
What is a traditional rice porridge or rice kanji?
Rice kanji is a natural homemade probiotics made with rice , water and homemade curds. This one is good old traditional recipe used by our older generations to keep a healthy gut. This tastes very similar to curd rice and making also is almost same but the main difference with Rice kanji and regular curd rice is the fermentation of cooked rice. To make rice kanji , cooked rice needs to soaked overnight preferably in a clay pot. After 12 hours of fermentation , you can eat 2-3 Tbsp of rice as first thing in the morning , to improve gut health. Further adding homemade curds ,even increases the good bacteria’s.
A delicious bowl of homemade , natural probiotics will be ready without spending hundreds to thousands of money on store brought probiotics. Moreover, Indian traditional food and ancestral knowledge on food science with varieties of spices , herbs and food says lot about health . They had medicine in every food and techniques used for cooking was straight and simple , which needs to be digged out for our better health. I will share the recipe of traditional kanji soon. This recipe is far different from the traditional method which uses the boiled rice, which can be either old or fresh boiled rice.
How to make rice water?
In a pot add 1 cup of rice(any variety) & 4 to 5 cups of water. Cook the rice in pot over a medium flame. After the rice is cooked, drain off the excess water from the rice. This excess water is referred to as the rice water. This is one of the main ingredient in this recipe.
How to make mango rice porridge?
Mango Rice Porridge | with step by step photos and video. Made using left over boiled rice. Firstly, make sure the boiled rice is mashed well. If not mash it using your hands. To this add curd, some green chilies, & juicy ripe mangoes. Mix it well using your bare hands. Finally add rice water and mix it well. The amount of water is based on the consistency of the porridge you need.
Further more I would like to highlight some of our trending stir fry recipes from our blog collection. Hope you would like to have them as a side dish for the porridge.
- Bitter Gourd | Pavakka Fry
- Kerala Style Avial Recipe
- Long Bean Stir Fry Kerala Style Recipe
- Potato Stir Fry
- Elephant Yam Fry | Suran Fry Recipe
Mango Rice PorridgeCourse: Porridge, Rice VarietiesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
11/2 cup Boiled White Rice
3/4 cup Curd
Salt as Required
2 to 3 green chilies
1/2 to 1 cup Hot Rice Water
1 Ripe Mango
Mango Rice Porridge | with step by step photos and video. A delicious bowl of porridge made by boiled rice, rice water and mangoes
- Take a clay pot or any bowl. Add 11/2 cup boiled rice. You can use any type of rice. It can be either fresh or yesterdays left over rice too.
- Now add 3/4 cup curd, 2 to 3 green chilies, salt as required for the recipe and mango pieces from a mango. Adjust the addition of mango based on your taste preference.
- Mix and mash it well using your bare hands.
- Once it is combined well, add 1/2 to 1 cup of rice water. Mix and check the consistency. If you need it to be thin consistent, you can add more rice water. Read notes to know how to make rice water ?.
- Now our delicious mango porridge is ready.
- Select juicy ripe mangoes for the recipe to yield the best result.
- If you do not have rice water add hot water. But taste will differ in both the cases.
- How to make rice water? In a pot add 1 cup of rice(any variety) & 4 to 5 cuts of water. Cook the rice in pot over a medium flame. After the rice is cooked, drain off the excess water from the rice. This excess water is referred to as the rice water. This is one of the main ingredient in this recipe.