Mango Mehalabaya | Milk Pudding | Arabian Dessert | with step by step photos and video. Arabic style milk pudding infused with a touch of mango adorned with mango syrup topping and garnished with pistachios & mango pieces.
Mehalabya is a traditional Arabic milk pudding, with similar variations in Greece and Turkey. Typically made with just milk, sugar and thickened with rice flour or cornstarch for a characteristically creamy and slightly jiggly texture. Served cold and takes on different flavors like vanilla, mastic, cardamom, rose and orange blossom water, to name a few.
What is a pudding?
A type of food that can be either a dessert or a savory dish that is part of the main meal.
How to make Mango Mehalabaya or Milk Pudding ?
Mango Mehalabaya | Milk Pudding | Arabian Dessert | with step by step photos and video. A two layer pudding recipe so easy to make during this mango season. Firstly, a milk pudding layer is created followed by a mango pudding layer.
Mango pudding is created using mango syrup. Why not combine these two wonderful flavors during the season of mangoes. To my surprise, my husband & daughter finished it soon leaving me with a spoon to taste..:)
In addition, I would like to highlight our other pudding recipes also.
Mango Mehalabaya | Milk PuddingCourse: DessertCuisine: ArabianDifficulty: Easy
1/2cup full fat milk
1/4cup heavy cream
2tbsp+1tbsp corn flour
1/4cup mango concentrate puree(use a ripe mango)
1tbsp grated pistachios(optional)
1tsp mango pieces thinly sliced(optional)
Mango Mehalabaya (Milk Pudding) | Arabian Dessert. Arabic style milk pudding infused with a touch of mango adorned with mango syrup topping and garnished with pistachios & mango pieces.
- For Mehalabaya(Milk Pudding)
- In a medium saucepan, off the heat, whisk together the 1/2 cup milk, 1/4cup heavy whipping cream, 2tbsp sugar, and 2tbsp cornstarch until well combined and the cornstarch has dissolved completely without any visible lumps.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a full boil, whisking constantly.
- Continue to boil for a few more seconds until the mixture thickens and large bubbles form around the surface.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Pour into a cup and refrigerate uncovered until the surface has begun to set; about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Mango Syrup Topping.
- For Mango Syrup Topping
- In a small saucepan, off the heat, whisk together 1/4cup concentrated mango puree, 1tsp sugar, 2tbsp water, and 1tbsp cornstarch until well combined.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a full boil, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and large bubbles form around the surface.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and spoon a layer of the mango syrup on the mehalabya cup, tilting the cup to cover evenly.
- Refrigerate until set and cold.
- Garnish & serve
- Spill the grated pistachio topping & finely sliced mango pieces evenly over the cooled mehalabeya cups.
- Serve right away or keep refrigerated until it is time to serve.
- You can vary the sweetness based on your choice & taste.