Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Sadhya Kalan | with step by step photos and video. A traditional and flavored Kerala cuisine delicacy made with yam, raw banana, coconut paste, and yogurt/curd. An integral part of a Kerala sadya (feast).
Difference between Kalan & Kurukku Kala?
However, the preparation of Kalan and Kurukku Kalan / Katti Kalan slightly differs, the difference is the consistency of the gravy. Kalan is prepared to a pouring consistency whereas, kurukku kalan is a thick curry where yogurt is concentrated. It is a little time consuming to make, but it’s worth all the effort.
How to make Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Sadhya Kalan?
Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Sadhya Kalan | with step by step photos and video. Generally made on special occasions like Onam feast but can be made on any particular day for your afternoon meal.
A slightly thick preparation with curd, coconut, and vegetables like yam and raw banana. The recipe contains green chili and hence it can be spicy. Hence reduce or increase the number of green chilies according to your taste preferences. Lastly, before adding the yogurt to the curry, do not forget to whisk it thoroughly otherwise it may curdle once it is heated. Everybody has a confusion of boiling curd. No worries until you keep on continuously stirring the curd on boiling.
Furthermore, do check out my other Onam Sadhya recipes. Hope you would like them.
Follow me on Social to get instant updates
Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Sadhya KalanCourse: Sides, CurryCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Kurukku Kalan Recipe | Kerala Sadhya Kalan | with step by step photos and video. A traditional and flavored Kerala cuisine delicacy made with yam, raw banana, coconut paste, and yogurt/curd.
1 Raw Plantain
3/4 tsp Pepper Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 1/2 cup Coconut Grated
2 or 3 Green Chillies
few Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Fresh Cumin powder or 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
Salt as required
1 cup Water
1/2 liter curd
a pinch of Fenugreek Powder
- For Tempering
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
a pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
3 to 4 Dry Red Chillies
few curry leaves
- Firstly peel, rinse, and then chop the elephant yam (suran) and plantain (raw banana) in cubes or squares. I am using the same quantity of both.
- Now transfer these veggies to a cooking pan. Add 1 cup water, 3/4 tsp pepper powder, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the pan.
- Once the water starts to boil, turn the flame to low. Cover and cook until the vegetables are cooked completely.
- Meanwhile, let us prepare the masala. For that add 1 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut, 1 some curry leaves, 1 or 2 green chilies, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, or 1/4 tsp cumin seeds. Crush it once.
- Then add 1/2 a cup of curd from the 1/2 liter curd. Grind it to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Let us check if the veggies are cooked. Check if the yam and plantain are cooked by cutting it with a knife/spoon or passing a knife/spoon through a few cubes. The knife/spoon should pass easily. (Do check-in intervals, if in case the water dries up and the veggies are not cooked, then add some more water. Cover and continue to cook.)
- Once the veggies are cooked, add 1/4 tsp ghee & salt as required. Mix the veggies gently.
- Whisk or beat the remaining curd using a spoon or wired whisk till smooth. Using sour curd makes the dish tastier.
- Add the beaten curd to the veggies. Continue stirring & bring to boil. Continuous stirring will avoid curdling formation. The gravy should be thickened for this recipe. So continue stirring until it gets thickened. (thickening in Malayalam means kurukku that is why the name kurukku kalan)
- Then add the ground masala & mix it gently.
- There is no need to boil the gravy after adding the masala. Once the masala gets heated up switch off the flame.
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Splutter the tempering (a pinch of Fenugreek Seeds, 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds, 3 to 4 Dry Red Chillies, few curry leaves) and pour over kurukku kalan.
- For an enhanced flavor I am adding a pinch of fenugreek powder. This is completely optional.
- Mix well & enjoy with hot steamed rice.
- Reduce or increase the number of green chilies according to your taste preferences.
- Use little sour yogurt for this recipe.