Kingfish | Vanjaram Fish Fry | with step by step photos and video. A lovely serving of fried fish from down South using Indian spices and masalas. A special and delicious fish fry that marks as an appetizer or as a side dish to any meal.
Kingfish or Seer Fish
This fish has different names in different parts of India. It is found around the Indian Ocean and adjoining seas. Its a slender, streamlined fish, slightly flattened from side to side with a tapered head.
Low in mercury, it is a rich source of protein, with 49 percent of the daily value in one fillet. In addition, they contain other nutrients like choline and are good sources of healthy, essential fats.
How to make Kingfish or Vanjaram fish fry?
Kingfish | Vanjaram Fish Fry | with step by step photos and video. A firm fish and has one bone and is easy to eat also. This fry tastes delicious. The recipe involves marination and is allowed to marinate for a minimum of 1 hr. But I love to marinate overnight, which yields you the best fish fry.
Firstly, the marination involves the Indian spices which are mixed by sprinkling water and formed into a paste. Additionally, this masala mix is rubbed thoroughly over the cleaned fish pieces and is further allowed to rest.
Furthermore, do check out my Kingfish Dum Biryani, Fish Karahi, and also my all-time favorite Anchovy or Nethili Fry. Hope you would love them too.
Kingfish | Vanjaram Fish FryCourse: Appetizers, SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Kingfish | Vanjaram Fish Fry | with step by step photos and video. A lovely serving of fried fish from down South using Indian spices and masalas
10 Kingfish Steaks (Around 700 gms)
4 tsp Red Chili Powder
1.5 tsp Pepper Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
Salt as required (1/2 tsp salt)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Fresh Curry Leaves
3 to 4 tbsp water
Oil for Shallow Frying (4 tbsp)
- Firstly, wash, and clean the fish pieces.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add 4 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1.5 tsp Pepper Powder, 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder, 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste, Salt as required (1/2 tsp salt), 1 tbsp Lemon Juice and a few curry leaves. Mix these ingredients well.
- Now add water little by little and prepare a marinade in the form of a paste. Be cautious not to add more water.
- Now rub this marinade over the fish pieces on both sides gently.
- Either allow this marinated fish to rest for a minimum of 30min to 1 hr or refrigerate it overnight.
- Heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the fish pieces one by one.
- Flip and cook both sides over a medium flame. Sprinkle some curry leaves at the end of frying. This increases the flavor of the fish fry.
- Once both sides are cooked and golden in color drain off the excess oil and serve hot.
- While preparing the marinade, do not add water at a time. Add water little by little.