Kottayam Style Fish Curry | Step by step pictures. In Kerala, fish curries are made with kudampuli, which is a healthy ingredient.
It is said, fish curry made with kudam puli stays fresh longer, traditionally this fish curry is made in a clay pot. I always prefer my clay pot. Fish curry in clay pot is authentic.
It is always said that this fish curry tastes better the next day. Its true 🙂 Im going to make this cooking simple by using my favorite spice masalas from eastern brand, eastern fish masala. So lets start:
- 1/2 kg fish (I used Cheelavu/Seelavu)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4tsp fenugreek seeds
- 10 shallots sliced
- 4 pieces of tomato
- 1 green chilly
- 1 inch ginger sliced finely
- 5 or 6 cloves of garlic , sliced
- 3 pieces of Kudam puli shredded(soak puli for 10min)
- Eastern fish masala 2tbsp
- coconut paste 2tbsp(optional)
- 2 sprigs of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat a claypot (or nonstick pan) with 2 – 3tbsp pf coconut oil, add in 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, allow it to splutter.
- Add in the sliced shallots, ginger, garlic, green chilly, tomato kudumpuli and curry leaves.
- You need to saute it till it tarts to get slightly brown.
- Put the fire on medium and add fish masala.
- Keep stirring or mixing until the raw flavor diminishes and fish masala is lightly roasted.
- Add coconut paste and add little water.
- Put the flame on high, mix well and add salt.
- Once it starts boiling add the fish, gently lay them.
- I like to spring some extra curry leaves for added flavor …
- Cover and cook on low or medium flame for about 10-15 min…in between do check whether the fish gets sticked to the pan…so it is advisable to swirl the pan or stir slowly with a spoon taking care not to break the fish.
- Enjoy fish curry with hot rice.
It is easily available in super markets maaam. If not, you can sprout whole wheat grains. Soak the grains overnight…
Where can you buy sprouted wheat?
Nice..Thank you so much..
I made it today and it was awesome 😋 thanks for the clear and neat recipe
I really like how this article talks about the different benefits of melons without talking about only one. I’ve been…