Kottayam Style Fish Curry | Step by step pictures. In Kerala, fish curries are made with kudampuli, which is a healthy ingredient.
It is said, fish curry made with kudam puli stays fresh longer, traditionally this fish curry is made in a clay pot. I always prefer my clay pot. Fish curry in clay pot is authentic.
It is always said that this fish curry tastes better the next day. Its true 🙂 Im going to make this cooking simple by using my favorite spice masalas from eastern brand, eastern fish masala. So lets start:
- 1/2 kg fish (I used Cheelavu/Seelavu)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4tsp fenugreek seeds
- 10 shallots sliced
- 4 pieces of tomato
- 1 green chilly
- 1 inch ginger sliced finely
- 5 or 6 cloves of garlic , sliced
- 3 pieces of Kudam puli shredded(soak puli for 10min)
- Eastern fish masala 2tbsp
- coconut paste 2tbsp(optional)
- 2 sprigs of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat a claypot (or nonstick pan) with 2 – 3tbsp pf coconut oil, add in 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, allow it to splutter.
- Add in the sliced shallots, ginger, garlic, green chilly, tomato kudumpuli and curry leaves.
- You need to saute it till it tarts to get slightly brown.
- Put the fire on medium and add fish masala.
- Keep stirring or mixing until the raw flavor diminishes and fish masala is lightly roasted.
- Add coconut paste and add little water.
- Put the flame on high, mix well and add salt.
- Once it starts boiling add the fish, gently lay them.
- I like to spring some extra curry leaves for added flavor …
- Cover and cook on low or medium flame for about 10-15 min…in between do check whether the fish gets sticked to the pan…so it is advisable to swirl the pan or stir slowly with a spoon taking care not to break the fish.
- Enjoy fish curry with hot rice.
I really like and appreciate your article. Thanks Again. Sula Yankee Murtha
Major thankies for the blog article. Much obliged. Lanny Wilton O’Hara