Instant Pot Chicken Pulao Recipe | Chicken Pulao | with step by step photos & video. One-pot flavored chicken cooked with mild Indian spices. You can use whatever whole spices you prefer and just don’t forget the caramelized onions, those are key. Moreover, the onions are the star of the pulao.
Difference between Pulao & Biryani?
Pulao is a delicious dish made of basmati rice, meat or veggies, spices & herbs. Mildly spiced and not heavy like the Chicken biryani. Traditionally a Biryani is made by layering marinated meat and partially cooked rice.
Pulao follows a fairly simple cooking style wherein the meat is cooked first (or the vegetables are sautéed, in case of a veg pulao), the rice is added and then both are cooked together in a predetermined quantity of water. Therefore, the pulao is essentially a one-pot dish cooked using the “absorption” method.
To make a biryani, a “layering” technique is used. The meat is cooked separately with spices, while the rice is par-boiled. The two are then arranged in layers in a pot and cooked (dum) on low heat. Alternately, the two may be cooked together in the same pot but the layering technique is always followed.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Pulao ?
Instant Pot Chicken Pulao Recipe | Chicken Pulao | with step by step photos & video. This chicken recipe is easy to make and can be prepared with some easily available ingredients like chicken, rice and southern spices, which together makes it an amazing dish. The great thing about chicken pulao is that it’s easy to adapt. You can use whatever whole spices you prefer and just don’t forget the caramelized onions, those are key. And if you prefer a spicier pulao, just add more chili green chilies.
Furthermore, do check out our chicken 65 biryani recipe. Hope you would like them too.
Instant Pot Chicken Pulao RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Instant Pot Chicken Pulao Recipe | Chicken Pulao | with step by step photos & video. One pot flavored chicken cooked with mild Indian spices.
1/2 kg medium-cut chicken (bone-in)
1.5 cup of Basmati rice
- For Garnishing
10 to 15 cashew nuts
15 to 20 raisins
1 cup thinly sliced onion
few coriander leaves
- For Preparing Biryani
1.5 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp ghee
4 to 5 cardamom pods
3 to 4 cloves
1 bay leaf
2-inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 to 3 green chilies
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 3/4 cup of hot water
salt as required
1 tsp biryani masala powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Masalas for Marinating Chicken
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp red chili powder
3/4 tbsp biryani masala powder
salt as required
2 tbsp curd
- Preparations to be done before Preparing Chicken Pulao
- Marinating Chicken
- Wash and clean 1/2 kg medium-cut bone-in chicken pieces.
- Add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tbsp red chili powder, 3/4 tbsp biryani masala powder, salt as required, and 2 tbsp curd to the chicken pieces.
- Mix & marinate the pieces well using our hands. Close & keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Soaking the Rice
- Wash & clean 1.5 cups of basmati rice & soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes drain the rice & keep it aside.
- For Garnishing
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil & 1 tbsp ghee in a heavy-bottomed vessel.
- Fry some cashew nuts, raisins & 1 cup of thinly sliced onions one by one. Keep them aside.
- Preparing Chicken Pulao
- In the same oil roast 4 to 5 cardamom pods, 3 to 4 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 2-inch cinnamon stick, 1 tsp cumin seeds, and 1 tsp fennel seeds. (add oil or ghee if needed)
- Then add 2 to 3 green chilies & 1 cup of thinly sliced onions. Saute until it becomes golden brown.
- Now add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste & saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Once done, add the marinated chicken pieces & mix well. Cover & cook for 5 minutes over low flame.
- The chicken will start cooking in the moisture released out by the pieces.
- Now add the drained rice & mix well but gently. Cover & cook for 2 minutes over low flame.
- Then add 2 3/4 cups of lukewarm water. Further, add salt as required, 1 tsp biryani masala & 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix well & bring it to boil.
- Once it starts to boil sprinkle some coriander leaves and half of the fried onions, cashew nuts & raisins. Cover & cook for 20 minutes over a low flame or until the water is absorbed & rice is cooked well. (This timing may differ based on the flame that you may keep )
- Our yummy chicken pulao is perfectly cooked. Let us garnish & serve with the kept aside fried onions, cashews & raisins.
- While cooking the rice the timing may differ based on the flame that you keep.