Pepper Garlic Rasam | How to make Rasam | with step by step description, photos & video. A simple, easy & quick recipe to make delicious rasam at home. The most basic & essential dish in a South Indian meal.
There are many varieties of rasam. Today I am going to share with you a simple & quick plain rasam recipe. This plain rasam, an all-time family’s favorite, I learned from my amma. It is best to have rasam in chilly winters or when you are suffering from cough and cold. The spices and herbs that go into this recipe are like cumin, black pepper, garlic, and tamarind help in relieving the cold and also act as a digestive.
How to make Pepper Garlic Rasam?
Pepper Garlic Rasam | How to make Rasam | with step by step description, photos & video. This is one of the easiest, quickest, and healthy rasam out of all the rasam. Typically it is prepared with tamarind sauce as its base which is boiled with the prepared rasam masala & tomatoes. Lastly, adjust the consistency of the rasam by adding more or less water. I personally prefer watery thin rasam but it is completely up to you.
Furthermore do check out my other veg gravy recipes here. I will later upload a variety of rasam recipes. Hope you would like them too.
How to make Rasam | Pepper Garlic RasamCourse: RasamCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
small lemon sized tamarind
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp sambar powder (optional)
1 full teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 to 4 coriander stems (optional)
fresh curry leaves
6 to 7 garlic pods (with skin)
1 tbsp gingelly oil
1 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 or 2 dried chilies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of hing/asafoetida/perumkaayam
salt as required
1/2 tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
Pepper Garlic Rasam | How to make Rasam | | with step by step description, photos & video. A simple, easy & quick recipe to make delicious rasam at home.
- Soaking the Tamarind
- Firstly, soak a lemon sized tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Add 1/2 tsp sambar powder & let it soak for 10minutes. Then squeeze off the juice & keep it aside.
- Preparing Rasam Masala
- Crush/pulse 1 full tsp of cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 2 to 4 coriander stems (optional), fresh curry leaves & 6 to 7 garlic pods (with skin) in a small mixie jar/blender.
- Keep it aside.
- Preparing my Amma’s Rasam Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp gingelly oil in a cooking pan.
- Crackle 1 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 2 to 3 dried red chilies & some fresh curry leaves.
- Now add in the prepared masala & saute over low flame for 2 minutes.
- Furthermore, add a pinch of perumkaayam & mix well.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder & roast the masala well.
- Then followed by finely chopped tomato. Saute until it turns mushy.
- Now add in the tamarind juice. Mix well & check for salt.
- Boil for 2 minutes & sprinkle some coriander leaves.
- Switch off the flame & serve it hot as soup or serve it with steamed rice.