Fish Karahi | Pakistani cuisine | Spicy fish masala | With step by step pics & video | Pakistani Fish karahi is a quick curry made with lightly fried pieces of fish stewed in a tomato base with lots of herbs and ginger.
The most delicious, flavorful, and spicy fish karahi! Guaranteed that this will be the best-curried fish recipe you will ever need. Prepared in a reduced tomato and green-chili base, a karahi is a popular late-night meal in Pakistani cuisine, usually consumed with naan. Similarly chicken & mutton karahi recipes are famous in Pakistani cuisine.
Selection of Fish?
For this fish karahi recipe you should prefer boneless fish. If you prefer with-bone fish be sure to have fewer bones like in kingfish. Here I am using kingfish.
How to make fish karahi?
Fish karahi is a semi-dry spicy fish recipe cooked in the tomato puree. For the tomato puree, we have to cook tomato pieces & then blend it along with coriander leaves.
Firstly, fish is marinated & fried. Then the fish is cooked in a kadai/karahi along with the spices & tomato puree.
The spicy taste for this recipe mainly comes from the selection of green chillies we are using. My green chillies are medium spicy so I am selecting 2 chillies. Based on your spicy taste, select the green chilies.
Fish KarahiCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: PakistaniDifficulty: Medium
Fish Karahi | Pakistani Fish karahi is a quick curry & most delicious, flavorful, and spicy fish dish.
- For marination
1/2kg Kingfish/boneless fish
salt as required
1tsp garam masala
2tsp thick curd
2tsp ginger garlic crushed/paste
- For frying
oil for shallow frying
- For making tomato puree
2 no tomatoes thinly sliced
1/2cup fresh coriander leaves
- For making karahi masala
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp crushed ginger
fresh curry leaves
2-3 no chopped green chilies
1/2cup thinly sliced onion
1/4tsp turmeric powder
1/2tsp chilly powder
salt to taste
- Marinate the fish pieces
- In a plate add in 1/2kg Kingfish/boneless fish, & marinate the fish pieces with salt, 1tsp garam masala, 2tsp thick curd, & 2tsp ginger garlic crushed/paste.
- Mix well & keep aside.
- Making tomato puree
- In a kadai heat 1/2cup of water & add in 2 thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Boil well till tomatoes becomes mushy. switch off the flame & allow it to cool down.
- Once tomato is cooled down, add 1/2cup of chopped coriander leaves along with cooked tomato slices & blend it to a smooth paste.
- Shallow fry the marinated fish pieces
- Heat 1/4cup oil in a pan & shallow fry the fish pieces on both sides.
- Let it be half cooked & keep it aside.
- Making Fish Karahi
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai.
- Saute 1 clove, 1tsp cumin seeds, 1tsp crushed ginger, curry leaves, & 2-3nos of finely chopped green chilies in low flame.
- Now add in 1/2cup of thinly sliced onion & saute until it turns golden brown in color.
- Then add 1/4tsp turmeric powder & 1/2tsp chilly powder & roast for 30 sec.
- Pour in the blended tomato-coriander puree & cook it covered for 5 to 8min in low flame.
- Now add in 1cup water & cook until oil separates.
- Once done add in the fried fish pieces one by one. Cook the fishes inside the masala by simmering it around 10min. Do mix it in intervals.
- Our fish karahi is ready to be served with it’s or cooked rice.
- Do select boneless fishes for this recipe. Since it is a semi-dry recipe & spicy recipe it is better to choose boneless/less bonefish.