Different names for elepant yam are senai kizhangu/ Chena. This is a Kerala style stir fry/mezhukkupuratty recipe made of yam which is very rich and healthy. Yam is a type of root vegetable which is rich in potassium and vitamins. You can serve this as a side dish with your meals. This dish is mainly given for breast feeding ladies, since it boosts milk production.
- 2 cups elephant yam chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds , pound
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbspn Coconut Oil
- 5 or 6 nos pearl onions (Sambar Onions)
- 3 garlic pods
- To begin making the dish, firstly boil the yam in a pan with water, salt and turmeric for about 10min. Do not boil it till it becomes mushy. Strain the water and keep it aside.
- In a mixer, add in the onions and garlic and grind it into a coarse paste.
- Heat a kadai with oil, splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and then add in the ground onions and garlic. Add in the spice powders including red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds, black pepper powder and fry till the raw smell goes away.
- Once done add in the boiled yam and coat the mixture well into the yam.
- Stir fry till it crisps up and check for seasoning by adding salt.
- Enjoy it with steamed rice/ sambar rice.
this recipe is good
Good article about cooking foods You may like Wheat pasta
Rava 190gm Powdered Sugar 150gm 4 tbsp Maida 50gm 1/2 cup Curd/Yoghurt 122.5 gm 1/2 cup milk 123 gm
I will try to upload them soon. I used a 250ml cup size.
Can you please tell the measurements in grams if possible