Eggless Plum Cake Using Apple Sauce | Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe | with step by step photos and video. Festive and flavorful homemade eggless plum cake is bursting with spices and delicious dry fruits and nuts. A classic Christmas recipe that makes a light, crumbly, and perfect moist fruit cake that you’ll love to enjoy and share all season. No eggs needed in this recipe.
WHAT IS A TRADITIONAL PLUM CAKE?
Plum Cake refers to a wide range of cakes made with either dried fruit (such as currants, raisins or prunes) or with fresh fruit. There is a wide range of popular plum cakes and puddings. In India, it has been served around the time of the Christmas holiday season, and may have additional ingredients such as rum, wine or brandy added.
This cake has reached every corner of the world. Moreover, every country, region and family has a different version of this recipe. Some are made with nuts soaked in rum, some are fed with sherry or brandy for weeks after being baked, and some have no alcohol at all.
How to make eggless plum cake using apple sauce?
Eggless Plum Cake Using Apple Sauce | Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe | with step by step photos and video. This recipe is an eggless version of plum cake recipe using apple sauce. Instead of eggs we are using an apple sauce for this recipe. You can also use milk or thick curd instead of apple sauce. Moreover, to increase the flavor of this cake we are adding fresh fruits also. The color of the cake is achieved by caramelising the sugar. Further, I would like to mention you that the batter will be more dense compared to other cake batters and also fruit cakes take more time to bake.
Eggless Plum Cake Using Apple SauceCourse: CakeCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
Eggless Plum Cake Using Apple Sauce | Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe | with step by step photos and video. Festive and flavorful homemade eggless plum cake is bursting with spices and delicious dry fruits and nuts.
11/2 cup Maida / All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Ginger Powder
1/2 tsp Cloves Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
100 gms Butter/Oil
1 cup + 6 tbsp Sugar
1 Apple or 1/2 cup Curd
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
50 gms Pineapple (optional)
1 tsp Rum/Brandy (optional)
- 300 gms Dry fruits
50 gms of Dates (chopped),
50 gms of Tutti-Frutti
50 gms of Cashews (chopped)
50 gms of Chopped Almonds
50 gms each of Golden and Black Raisins
- Step-1 (Prepare the dry fruits mix)
- In a bowl add 50 gms of dates (chopped), 50 gms of tutti-frutti, 50 gms of cashews (chopped), 50 gms of chopped almonds and 50 gms each of golden and black raisins.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Step-2 (Prepare Orange Juice & Zest)
- Take 2 oranges and peel off the outer skin and slice it thinly. Take 1 tbsp of orange zest.
- Collect 6 tbsp orange juice from the oranges. Keep them aside.
- Step-3 (Preparing Pineapple Pulp)
- Take 50 gms of chopped pineapple pieces in a mixie jar. Grind it to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Step-4 Preparing Sugar Caramel
- Heat a pan and add 5 tbsp of sugar. Heat it & let the sugar melt over a low flame. When the color of the melted sugar becomes brown, add 5 tbsp of warm water to this. You need to be very careful at this stage since the water tends to splash and can cause burns.
- Mix it and allow it to boil for 30 seconds. Now add the 50 gms of ground pineapple pulp.
- Combine them well.
- Now add 1 tbsp orange zest and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and add 100 gms of butter or oil. Mix them well.
- Then add in 1 cup of granulated sugar. Mix well. The heat will melt the sugar & combine it well with the sugar syrup.
- Followed by the dry fruits and 5 tbsp extracted orange juice. Mix them well and allow it to cool completely.
- Step-5 Preparing Apple Sauce
- Peel off the skin of an apple and grate it using the small holes of a grater.
- To cook the apple, heat a pan and add the grated apple along with 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Mix them well over a low flame and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Step-6 Prepare the Dry Ingredients
- In another bowl add 11/2 cup of maida,11/2 tsp Ginger Powder, 1/2 tsp Cloves Powder, 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder, 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Baking Soda and 1/2 tsp Salt.
- Mix them well and keep aside.
- Step-7 Prepare the Cake Tin
- For 11/2 cup of maida use 8 inch round pan. Brush some oil & place baking paper over all the sides. Keep it aside.
- Step-8 Prepare the Cake Batter
- In a bowl add 1/2 cup of prepared apple sauce or 1/2 cup of thick curd, 1 tsp Vanilla essence and 1 tsp Rum or Brandy (optional).
- Mix well and add the prepared fruit mix.
- Combine them well and start adding the dry ingredients little by little. Fold the batter using cut & fold method.
- The cake batter is ready. The batter will be thick in consistency.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Level it and tap to release the air bubbles.
- Step-9 Baking
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees or 350 degree F for 60 to 65 minutes.
- Once the cake is baked, allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled demold the cake from cake tin. Cut and serve delicious tasty eggless plum cake.
- If you feel your cake batter is very thick add 1 to 2 tbsp orange juice more to the cake batter.
- You can use any dry fruits of your choice.