Eggless Lemon Sponge Cake Recipe | Light and Moist | with step-by-step photos and video. Packed with fresh lemon flavour, this cake is rich and moist and has a perfect blend of tart and sweet. This classic lemon cake recipe is perfect for any occasion: a bridal shower, birthdays, holiday gatherings, or any get-together. I used this as the base cake for a lemon theme cake.
The features that make this cake outstanding from other recipes are as follows. This eggless lemon cake is:
- light and soft
- Easy to make
Tips to consider before baking:
There are just a few steps to take before baking. A detailed list of ingredients and quantities are in the recipe below along with a video of step-by-step instructions for that perfect and easy lemon cake from scratch.
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
- I’ve used store-bought curd, which acts as a substitute for eggs in this recipe. But you can use greek yoghurt or homemade curd in this recipe.
- Use only fresh lemon juice and not the store-bought stuff.
- Oil makes this cake really moist. Use any neutral flavoured oil. If you don’t prefer to be so moist, go for butter. I prefer to use unsalted butter in baking.
- For soaking the cake, I used lemon juice along with the sugar syrup for a beautiful smell.
- To zest your lemon, use a micro-plane zester or a small grater. While zesting, make sure you are only getting the yellow skin of the lemon and not the inner white skin, which is bitter. Always remember to freshly zest your lemon right before you need it for the cake.
How long does this cake last?
This eggless lemon cake remains fresh for 3 days if left at room temperature and can last for up to a week, if stored in the fridge.
How to make eggless lemon sponge cake recipe?
Eggless Lemon Cake Recipe | Light and Moist | with step-by-step photos and video. To start with, combine the wet ingredients into a smooth paste. Further, sieve in the dry ingredients and fold into a smooth and lump-free batter. I wanted a tall cake and so I preferred using a 5″ inch cake mould. You can prefer to use a 6″ or a 7″ inch cake mould. You can have this just as it is, and walk away happy and smiling. Or, you can serve it plain with a cup of tea for snack. You can also serve this with some fresh lemon syrup or top it with some ice cream or some whipped cream! You can either use a buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting or any choice of yours.
In addition, I would like to highlight our other trending vanilla cupcake recipe, marble cupcakes in katoris and chocolate steam cake recipes. Hope you would like them too.
Eggless Lemon Sponge Cake RecipeCourse: All RecipesCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
Eggless Lemon Cake Recipe | Light and Moist | with step-by-step photos and video. Packed with fresh lemon flavour, this cake is rich and moist and has a perfect blend of tart and sweet.
1 tsp Lemon Zest
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Curd
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Melted Butter
1/4 cup Milk
1 cup Maida
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
A pinch of Salt
2 tbsp Warm Water/ Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C for at least 10 minutes. If you prefer oven-less baking set up the oven is set up by preheating a kadai for 10 minutes over low flame.
- Lightly grease the 5-inch round cake pan, line it with baking paper and keep it aside.
- Firstly, take a lemon, grate and collect lemon zest.
- Squeeze and collect 2 tbsp lemon juice and keep aside.
- Take a bowl, add in 1/2 cup curd, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter. Whisk them until well combined.
- Further, add in 1/4 cup milk and mix it well.
- Sieve in the dry ingredients one by one: 1 cup Maida, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Baking Soda and a pinch of salt.
- Start folding the batter using a whisk or a spatula.
- Once all the ingredients are bought together, add 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp warm water or milk.
- Mix until everything is just combined and a smooth batter is formed. Do not over-mix or beat.
- Finally, add the collected lemon zest and 2 drops of yellow food colour (optional). Give a good mix.
- Once the batter is ready, pour it into the prepared cake pan. Gently tap against the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake at 180C for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely to room temperature before decorating.
- Once the cake is cooled cut it into 2 equal halves and soak them in lemon-sugar syrup. While assembling, layer them with whipped cream and make the edges sharp. Further, for the yellow drip cake, mix the yellow color into white chocolate and pour it on the top of the cake.
- Slice and enjoy the soft and tangy lemon cake.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Do not over-mix the batter.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the size of cake pan and oven setting. The best method is to insert a toothpick at the center and if doesn’t come out clean, you can bake for some more time.