Coconut Chutney | Thengai chutney | with step by step pics. A Southern Indian chutney-side-dish and condiment, a common in the Indian subcontinent. The condiment is made with coconut ground with other ingredients such as green chilies, tamarind & ginger. It is served with dosa, idli, and vadas. This chutney is also known as thengai chutney.
How to make coconut chutney | thengai chutney?
The chutney is mainly prepared with coconut pulp which is ground with green chilies, ginger, tamarind, and salt. It is then later tempered with mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilies, and curry leaves which adds flavor to it. It is served with idli, dosa, vada, and even pongal recipe.
Coconut ChutneyCourse: Breakfast, Chutney VarietiesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Coconut Chutney | Thengai chutney | A Southern Indian chutney-side-dish and condiment, a common in the Indian subcontinent.
- For Grinding
1cup grated coconut
small piece of ginger (size around 1/2inch)
small piece of tamarind (size around 1/2 inch)
salt to taste
1/2cup of water
1no green chilly
- For Tempering
1/4 tsp urad dal
1/4 tap mustard seeds
1 no red chilly
some fresh curry leaves
- In a blender/mixie add-in 1cup of grated coconut, 1/2inch ginger, 1/2inch tamarind, 1no green chilly & salt to taste.
- Blend to a smooth paste adding water in between. I used around half a cup of water.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a kadai, add urad dal & fry until it turns golden.
- Then splutter 1/4tsp mustard seeds, curry leaves & 1 no dried red chilly.
- Pour this tempering over the coconut paste & serve with idlis, dosas or vadas.
- Add water based on the consistency you want.
- Do not add more water in the beginning while blending. Add in the water at intervals & blend to a smooth paste.