Chicken Karahi | Kadai Chicken | with step by step photos and video. One of the most popular curries in and out of Pakistan and India. The recipes stands unique for its rich, tomato base and a fragrant finish of methi leaves, coriander leaves, and strands of ginger cuts.
What is Karahi?
Karahi, Kadai, or Korai, a thick, circular, and deep cooking vessel similar to a wok but with a steeper side and smaller base. It allows lots of surface area for high heat cooking. South Asian cooking demand searing on high heat and Karahi is a perfect vessel to achieve desired results. There is no specific name for a Karahi in English but it is often called wok.
What is Chicken Karahi?
Karahi, named after the pan in which it was originally cooked. Traditionally, meat would be simmered and stir-fried in this karahi in an open fire. In this method, chicken is cooked in this wok to achieve the desired results.
How to make chicken karahi or kadai chicken?
Chicken Karahi | Kadai Chicken | with step by step photos and video. The recipe prepared here does not use onion at all. The key ingredient is yoghurt. Yogurt helps to tenderize the chicken and allows the spices to seep in. In addition, the key step is to make sure the juices evaporate, until you see a lovely sheen of oil, keep stirring on high heat. Moreover, the dish is noted for its spicy taste.
Chicken Karahi | Kadai ChickenCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
- For Masala Powder
4 to 6 Dry Red Chillies
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
2 tsp Shahi Jeera
1 tbsp Black Pepper
2 + 3 Cardamoms
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chaat Masala
1 tsp Garam Masala
- For Chicken Karahi
1 kg Chicken (Medium-Cut)
8 tbsp Oil
1 Bay Leaf
1″ inch Cinnamon Stick
1 Star Anise
4 tbsp + 4 tbsp Curd
1 tbsp Ginger Crushed
2 tbsp Garlic Crushed
Salt as required
4 Tomatoes (Large)
4 to 6 Green Chillies
Handful of Coriander Leaves
1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
2 tsp Lemon juice
2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
Chicken Karahi | Kadai Chicken | with step by step photos and video. One of the most popular curries in and out of Pakistan and India.
- For Masala Powder
- Heat a pan and firstly, dry roast 4 to 6 Dry Red Chillies, 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds, 2 tsp Shahi Jeera, 1 tbsp Black Pepper and 2 Cardamoms over a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Chaat Masala and 1 tsp Garam Masala powders. Roast for another minute.
- Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool down & transfer it to a small mixie jar.
- Grind it to a fine powder & keep aside.
- Preparing Chicken Karahi
- Heat a kadai or karahi. Heat 8 tbsp oil.
- Crackle 1 Bay Leaf, 1″ inch Cinnamon Stick, 3 cardamoms and 1 Star Anise in the hot oil.
- Add 1 kg cleaned chicken pieces.
- Flip & fry both the sides until the color of chicken changes to white color.
- Now add 1 tbsp crushed ginger, 2 tbsp crushed garlic and 11/2 tsp salt. Mix well and fry the chicken pieces until the sides of chicken starts to brown.
- Now add 4 tbsp thick curd and mix well.
- Divide 4 large ripe tomatoes into 2 halves and place it over the chicken as shown. Also add 4 green chilies. Now close the lid and cook for 10 minutes over a low flame.
- After 10 minutes, you will find it easy to peel off the skin of tomatoes. Using a spoon or fork peel off the skin.
- Mash the tomatoes using a spoon and mix it with the chicken pieces.
- Once it starts to boil, add the powdered masala powder along with 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder. (Kashmiri chilli powder is added only for giving a good color for the gravy)
- Mix it well & saute over a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- You can see that the chicken has released a lot of water. keep the flame over a medium flame and let it cook for another 10 minutes until the masala is reduced to a thick consistency & oil is separated. Make sure to mix in between.
- Now add 4 tbsp thick curd. Mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi, a handful of Coriander Leaves, 2 tsp Lemon juice and few julienne cut ginger slices.
- Cover & simmer for another 2 minutes over a low flame until all the flavors are released.
- After 2 minutes, switch off the flame.
- Mix & serve the curry with rotis, rice or chapathis.
- If you do not have shahi jeera you can use cumin seeds . For 2 tsp shahi jeera replace it with 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- Adjust the spice level based on your taste.