Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe | Mangalore Style | with step by step photos & video. A traditional recipe from the kitchen of Mangalorean households. A combination of succulent pieces of chicken marinated and cooked in a robust masala along with the rich ghee. This recipe will literally leave your family asking for more.
The ghee roast originated in a small town called Kundapur near Mangalore. The ghee flavored fiery red, tangy, and spicy dish is available in restaurants across Karnataka. Pair it with neer dosa, appam, or any rotis and it makes for an awesome meal. Or simple, serve it with the hot boiled rice.
How to make Chicken Ghee Roast?
Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe | Mangalore Style | with step by step photos & video. A traditional recipe from the kitchen of Mangalorean households. The Chicken Ghee Roast, cooked in Ghee (Clarified butter) & the spices makes it a fiery red color with a tanginess.
Firstly, the chicken is marinated with curd & the spices for a minimum of 30 minutes. Then the marinated chicken is roasted in ghee & cooked to 50%. No words to describe the aroma while the chicken is getting cooked in ghee. Then, the half-cooked chicken is cooked with a masala that is ground by roasting the spices & tamarind. The twist ingredient in this recipe is jaggery. Let us see how to prepare this mouthwatering recipe.
Furthermore, do check out my other chicken recipes too. Hope you would like it.
Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe | Mangalore StyleCourse: SidesCuisine: MangaloreDifficulty: Medium
Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe | Mangalore Style | with step by step photos & video. A traditional recipe from the kitchen of Mangalorean households.
1 kg chicken (bone-in medium cuts)
2 tbsp ghee
fresh curry leaves
1 tbsp grated jaggery
- For the Marinade
6 tbsp thick curd
1/2 tbsp red chili powder
1/2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp salt or salt as required
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Masala For Ghee Roast
coin-sized tamarind (soak in 1/4 cup water)
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1″ inch size cinnamon stick
8 to 10 fenugreek seeds
1″ inch size ginger (chopped roughly)
5 to 6 pods of garlic
6 to 10 whole Kashmiri chilies
1/2 of a medium-sized tomato (5 to 6 slices)
1/2 cup of hot water
- Prepare the Marinade for Chicken
- Add 1 kg chicken into a mixing bowl.
- Marinate the chicken with 6 tbsp thick curd 1/2 tbsp red chili powder, 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder, 1 tsp pepper powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tsp salt or salt as required & 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Appy these ingredients evenly on the chicken using our hands.
- Cover & keep aside for a minimum of 1 hr or refrigerate overnight.
- Preparing the Masala for Ghee Roast
- Soak coin-sized tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a tawa. Followed by 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 2 cloves, 1″ inch size cinnamon stick, 8 to 10 fenugreek seeds, 1″ inch size ginger (chopped roughly), 5 to 6 pods of garlic & 6 to 10 whole Kashmiri chilies.
- Roast over a low flame until aroma arises.
- Now add 1/2 tomato sliced & the tamarind water kept aside.
- Saute for 20 sec & add 1/2 cup of hot water. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes or until water is dried over low flame.
- Once done allow it to cool down & bind it to a fine paste.
- Half-Cook the Marinated Chicken
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee on a pan & add the marinated chicken.
- Mix well. Sprinkle some curry leaves.
- Cover & cook over low to medium flame for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Once done transfer the chicken along with the chicken juice to a bowl.
- Preparing Chicken Ghee Roast
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan.
- Add the ground masala. Roast & cook the masala over low flame for a minimum of 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the half-cooked chicken along with the chicken juices. Mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp grated jaggery.
- Mix well. Cover & cook the chicken along with the spices, masala & jaggery.
- Once the chicken is cooked sprinkle some fresh curry leaves & roast the chicken until water is absorbed & roasted well.