Chana | Chole | Chickpea Masala | Using the base masala curry | with step by step photos and video. An extremely flavorsome and tasty curry recipe made with chickpea and spices. In North India, chana masala is called as ‘chole masala’ or simply ‘chole’.
Both the words “Chana” and “Chole” refer to chickpeas. Serve this vegetarian Indian chickpea curry as a main meal or side dish. Easy and simple Chana Masala using raw chickpeas that are soaked overnight
How to make chana or chole or chickpea masala using the base curry masala?
Chana | Chole | Chickpea Masala | Using the base masala curry | with step by step photos and video. Chana also known as chole masala, or chole is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. Here I am using an already prepared onion tomato base curry which makes this dish easy to cook. The recipe for onion tomato base curry can be used for a variety of Indian dishes. I had already shared the recipe. Do have a look. Additionally, making masala in advance and storing it reduces the time required to cook chana masala.
The soaked chickpeas are pressure cooked until it turns soft which are cooked in this masala paste. Furthermore, do kindly have a look at the chana or chickpea masala without using this masala base, I had already shared. Additionally, kindly check the Chole Bhatura recipe too. You will love this combo.
Chana | Chole | Chickpea MasalaCourse: Gravy, CurryCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Chana | Chole | Chickpea Masala | Using the base masala curry | with step by step photos and video. An extremely flavorsome and tasty curry recipe made with chickpea and spices.
- For Pressure Cooking
1 1/2 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
3/4 cup of water
salt as required
- Preparing Chana Masala
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 cup onion-tomato base masala
1 cup of warm water
Salt as required
fresh coriander leaves
- Firstly, soak 1 1/2 cup of chickpeas overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas along with 3/4 cup of water & salt as required(1/4 tsp salt) for 5 to 7 whistles over medium flame.
- Allow the pressure to release and keep it aside.
- Preparing Chana Masala
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai.
- Saute 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion until it turns transparent.
- Add 1/4 tsp ginger-garlic paste and some fresh curry leaves until the raw smell disappears.
- Roast 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, and 1/2 tsp garam masala for 20 seconds over low flame.
- Once roasted add 1 cup of already prepared onion-tomato base masala and mix well in the masalas.
- Then add the cooked chickpeas along with the water and mix well. Check for consistency and add water more if required. I am adding 1 cup of warm water. Mix well and check for saltness.
- Now, cover and cook until oil is separated over low flame. The masala is already cooked so it may take around only 5 minutes.
- Our masala is ready. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and serve along with rotis, bhatura, or rice.
- My personal opinion: While adding water for cooking use warm water., it increases tastes.