Cauliflower Rice | Gobi Upma | with step by step photos and video. An amazingly healthy twist on fried rice. This keto recipe is slightly twisted to Indian flavors. Super simple to make and so versatile dish that can be used to make a variety of keto recipes.
The key to cauliflower like rice, is in the size and the cooking method.
What is Cauliflower Rice?
It’s simply cauliflower pulsed in a food processor until it forms into granules that are about the size of rice.
How long does cauliflower rice last?
Raw Cauliflower Rice
We find that if you turn cauliflower into cauliflower rice and leave it in the fridge for a few days, it develops a strong and unpleasant sulfur smell. So its best to use it right away or freeze it.
Cooked Cauliflower Rice
Cooking cauliflower rice prevents it from developing a funky smell as quickly. Cooked cauliflower rice keeps for approximately 4 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Firstly, cut the cauliflower into evenly sized florets. Then you can place it into your food processor or a mixie jar or use a garter. Blend the cauliflower using the pulse setting mode. Continue to pulse until it resembles rice. If there are any large pieces, remove them and blend them separately.
How to make Cauliflower rice or gobi upma?
Cauliflower Rice | Gobi Upma | with step by step photos and video. Instead of regular rice, the recipe uses cauliflower, a perfect low carb substitute. A complete guide for how to make cauliflower rice including the methods to cut cauliflower also.
Firstly, cut the cauliflower to rice like granules. Further, tossed in some spices and veggies. Here we added carrots and green peas. Adding veggies is optional.
In addition I would like to highlight crispy gobi 65, elephant yam fry or chena fry, long bean stir fry and bitter gourd fry recipes also. Hope you would like them too.
Cauliflower Rice | Gobi UpmaCourse: MainCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
Cauliflower Rice | Gobi Upma | with step by step photos and video. An amazingly healthy twist on fried rice. Super simple to make and so versatile dish.
350 gms Cauliflower
2 tbsp Oil/Butter/Ghee
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Ginger Finely Chopped
1 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped
5 to 6 Shallots or Half of an Onion Finely Chopped
1 or 2 Green Chillies
Salt as required
- Vegetables as needed (optional)
1/4 cup Carrots Chopped into small cubes
1/4 cup Frozen Peas
- Cutting Cauliflower
- Firstly, cut the cauliflower into evenly sized florets. Now wash the florets and drain off the water.
- Now we can use either of the 3 methods to chop the cauliflower into rice like granules: 1. Chop florets using a mixie (in pulse mode), 2. Chop florets using a food processor or chopper, or 3. Chop florets using a grater.
- Now our cauliflower granules are ready. Keep it aside.
- Making Cauliflower Rice
- Heat 2 tbsp oil or butter or ghee. Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Now add 2 tsp ginger and 1 tsp garlic finely chopped.
- Saute until raw smell disappears.
- Then add 6 shallots or half of an onion finely chopped and 1 or 2 green chilies.
- Saute until onion starts to change its color to golden brown.
- Now add some curry leaves, 1/4 cup chopped carrots and 1/4 cup frozen peas.
- Saute for 1 to 2 minutes over a medium-high flame.
- There goes the main ingredient. Add the cauliflower rice (around 3 cups), 3/4 tsp salt or salt as required.
- Mix them well over a high flame.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes over a low flame. Mix in between to avoid getting burnt.
- Cauliflower upma or rice is ready to serve now.
- Adding mustard seeds and veggies are completely optional.
- At the end if you like, add some grated coconut and mix it well. Some prefer adding coconut in upma.