Broken Wheat Upma | with step by step photos and video. Delicious and healthy upma recipe using broken wheat. This broken wheat with loads of vegetables makes a very tasty and delicious meal.
Things to know about broken wheat
Cracked Wheat/Broken wheat is known as “samba godhumai ravai” in Tamil, “dalia” in Hindi. It is also known as Lapsi rava. It is low in calories and loaded with nutrients. A good source of fiber. Moreover, its high fiber content, makes you feel fuller on less food, so it can help you lose weight or even belly fat. As it has low glycemic index, it is good for diabetics also.
How to cook?
To cook first clean and wash the wheat well with water. Then strain it and then soak it in hot water for about 30 min to 1hr. Then in a deep pan add the soaked wheat, along with water and salt. For 1 cup of broken wheat, 2 cups of water will be more than enough. There should be enough water to cover the whole wheat. Cover and cook for nearly 20 minutes over a low to medium flame. Stir in between until the water is absorbed by the wheat. Here for this upma recipe, no soaking is needed. Just roast, clean, and cook the wheat.
How to make broken wheat upma?
Broken Wheat Upma | with step by step photos and video. Upma is a full and healthy breakfast recipe. Making upma in broken wheat along with the veggies makes it even healthier. Firstly soak the broken wheat. Then cook the broken wheat along with the temper and veggies.
Furthermore, do check out other upma varieties and breakfast recipes too. Hope you would like them.
Broken Wheat UpmaCourse: Breakfast, MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Broken Wheat Upma | with step by step photos and video. Delicious and healthy upma recipe using broken wheat.
1 cup Broken Wheat
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 tbsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 ” inch Cinnamon Stick
A sprig of Curry Leaves
1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
2 Green Chillies
1/2 cup Onion finely chopped
2 tbsp Chopped Carrots (optional)
2 tbsp Green Peas (optional)
1/4 cup Tomato finely chopped
1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 cups of Water
Salt as required
- Firstly, roast 1 cup of broken wheat until it’s roasted and its color changes.
- Once roasted remove from the flame & allow it to cool down.
- Once cooled wash and clean the broken wheat. Drain it & keep it aside.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil and 1/2 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Crackle 1/4 tsp mustard seeds. Followed by 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/2 ” inch Cinnamon Stick, 2 Cloves, a sprig of Curry Leaves, 1 tsp Ginger (Chopped), and 2 Green Chilies. Saute them until it is roasted and the raw smell of ginger disappears.
- Now saute 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion and 1/8 tsp or 2 pinches of turmeric powder.
- Then add in 2 tbsp chopped carrots and 2 tbsp green peas and saute them for 2 minutes.
- Now add 1/4 cup of finely chopped tomatoes and saute them again for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water or normal water and salt as required. Cover and bring this to boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the broken wheat. Mix it well. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes over low flame.
- Stir in between & check if there is water. After 20 minutes, the water is completely absorbed by wheat and is cooked well.
- Broken wheat upma is ready to serve.
- If you wish to cook in a pressure cooker you can repeat the same procedure but for 1 cup of wheat 11/2 cups of water will be fine.