Broken Wheat Puttu | Steamed Cake | with step by step photos and video. Delicious, easy, and a healthy puttu variety made with broken wheat and grated coconut.
Things to know about broken wheat
Cracked Wheat/Broken wheat is known as “samba godhumai” in Tamil, “dalia” in Hindi. It is low in calories and loaded with nutrients. A good source of fiber. Moreover, its high fiber content, makes you feel fuller on less food, so it can help you lose weight or even belly fat. As it has a low glycemic index, it is good for diabetics also.
How to cook?
To cook first clean and wash the wheat well with water. Then strain it and then soak it in hot water for about 30 min to 1 hr. Then in a deep pan add the soaked wheat, along with water and salt. For 1 cup of broken wheat, 2 cups of water will be more than enough. There should be enough water to cover the whole wheat. Cover and cook for nearly 20 minutes over a low to medium flame. Stir in between until the water is absorbed by the wheat.
How to make a broken wheat puttu recipe?
Broken Wheat Puttu | Steamed Cake | with step by step photos and video. This recipe involves soaking of the broken wheat in hot water for about 30 minutes. Which is then allowed to drain for 5 to 10 minutes. Compared to normal puttu flour this wheat requires more cooking time. Apart from that, it involves the normal cooking method of rice flour puttu only.
Broken Wheat Puttu | Steamed CakeCourse: Breakfast, MainCuisine: Indian
1/2 cup Broken Wheat
Salt as required
Water as required
2 to 4 tbsp Grated Coconut
Broken Wheat Puttu | Steamed Cake | with step by step photos and video. Delicious, easy, and a healthy puttu variety made with broken wheat puttu and grated coconut.
- Firstly, wash and clean 1/2 cup of broken wheat. Soak it in hot water for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Then drain it in a strainer and keep it aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the drained wheat to a mixing bowl. Add salt as required and 1 to 2 tbsp grated coconut (optional).
- Mix well.
- Let us start filling the puttu mold. We are using a cheratta puttu mold. You can use any kind. Place the round perforated disc with holes inside the puttu maker such that it fits well at the bottom of the mould. Place 1 layer of grated coconut (2 tbsp ) at the bottom of the puttu maker.
- Carefully and slowly add the wheat as the next layer and close the lid. Do not squeeze the while adding.
- Preheat 2 to 3 cups of water in a cooker and place this mold over the cooker whistle vent or nozzle.
- Once the team starts to come, reduce the flame to low and steam it for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Demold and serve the soft warm puttu with Groundnut (Kadala Curry), Green gram curry (Cheru payar), Cowpea ( Vanpayar ) curry or any curry of your choice. The most preferred choice is banana with a slight sprinkle of sugar.
- While soaking the broken wheat soak in hot water for a minimum of 30 minutes at least.