Broken Wheat Kozhukattai | Kozhukatta | with step by step photos and video. Broken wheat dumpling is made by mixing grated coconut with jaggery, placing it inside the dumplings of broken wheat, and then steaming the dumplings.
In Tamil Nadu, the dish is traditionally associated with the Hindu God Ganesha and is prepared as an offering (naivedhya) on the occasion of Vinayaka Chathurthi. It is prepared by Kerala Christians on the Saturday prior to Palm Sunday and the day is hence called Kozhukatta Saturday. In south India, it is also eaten as an evening snack with tea or coffee.
Difference between kozhukattai & modak?
The difference between kozhukattai and modak is the stuffing. Moreover, the basic stuffing of fresh coconut and jaggery remains the same. Whereas, the addition of poppy seeds, nutmeg powder and sesame seeds in modak makes the difference.
Things to know about broken wheat
Cracked Wheat/Broken wheat is known as “samba godhumai” in Tamil, “dalia” in Hindi. It is low in calories and loaded with nutrients. A good source of fiber. Moreover, its high fiber content, makes you feel fuller on less food, so it can help you lose weight or even belly fat. As it has a low glycemic index, it is good for diabetics also.
How to make Broken Wheat Kozhukattai or Kozhukatta?
Broken Wheat Kozhukattai | Kozhukatta | with step by step photos and video. The dish is prepared by mixing grated coconut with jaggery syrup or grated jaggery, placing it inside dumplings of broken wheat, and steaming the dumplings. Ghee, cardamom, rice flour etc. may be added to enhance the taste and flavor of the filling.
Firstly, clean and wash the wheat well with water. Then soak it in hot water for about 30 min to 1 hr. Furthermore, strain it and grind it along with 2 tbsp rice flour to a consistency of holding it together to a shape. The addition of rice flour helps you to hold the shape of dumpling.
Additionally, do check out our broken wheat upma, broken wheat puttu and broken wheat appam. Hope you would like them too.
Broken Wheat Kozhukattai | KozhukattaCourse: Snacks, SweetsCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Broken Wheat Kozhukattai | Kozhukatta | with step by step photos and video. Broken wheat dumpling is made by mixing grated coconut with jaggery, placing it inside dumplings of broken wheat, and steaming the dumplings.
1/2 cup Broken Wheat
2 + 4 tbsp Grated Coconut
2 tbsp Rice Flour
2 tbsp Jaggery
1/8 tsp Cardamom Powder
1/8 tsp Cumin Powder (optional)
Salt as required
- Firstly, wash and clean 1/2 cup of broken wheat.
- Then soak it in hot water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain the water & strain it.
- Transfer the soaked wheat to a mixie jar along with salt and 2 tbsp grated coconut.
- Grind it for 10 seconds. Then add 2 tbsp rice flour and grind it again for 10 seconds or until you are able to bind & hold the flour to a shape as shown in the figure.
- Now transfer the flour to a bowl.
- For making the filling, in a bowl add 4 to 5 tbsp grated coconut, 2 tbsp grated jaggery, 1/8tsp cardamom powder & 1/8 tsp cumin powder (optional).
- Mix well. Let us start making the kozhukattai.
- For that, grease some oil on your palms & then make small balls from the dough. The dough balls should be smooth and crack-free. some may get cracks, so just rub a bit of water or oil on your palm and shape them into balls again which will get rid of the cracks.
- Take the dough ball and gently flatten it with your fingers. Keep the edges thin and the centre slightly thick.
- Place the coconut & jaggery stuffing in the centre. Then fold the dough as shown in the figure & seal off the edges.
- Repeat the process and make all kozhukattais.
- Now heat up a steamer or idly tray with 3 cups of water. Grease the tray or idli plates with oil or ghee.
- Place the kozhukattais & steam for 15 to 20 minutes over a medium-low or medium flame.
- Carefully remove from the pot and serve it as a breakfast or snack.
- The dough balls should be smooth and crack-free. Some may get cracks, so just rub a bit of water or oil on your palm and shape them into balls again which will get rid of the cracks.