Bread Pocket Chicken Shawarma | Homemade Chicken Shawarma | with description and video. Any self-respecting meat-eater from anywhere in the world loves shawarma. You can now find this dish even in the tiniest corners of small towns all the way up to luxury eateries in top-tier cities!
Shawarma, a Levantine Arab meat preparation, where lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit (a vertical spit in restaurants), and grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, and the remainder of the block of meat is kept heated on the rotating spit. Shawarma can be served on a plate or as a sandwich or wrap.
Almost all people here in Dubai search for the best shawarma shops, only for the love of that delicious wrap. Since its lockdown, we all will be missing our Shawarmas. Here I m sharing a homemade chicken shawarma recipe. Try out this recipe at least once. Try out & enjoy our recipe.
How to make Bread Pocket Chicken Shawarma?
Bread Pocket Chicken Shawarma | Homemade Chicken Shawarma | with description and video. A delicious snack recipe to be enjoyed on all occasions.
Bread Pocket Chicken ShawarmaCourse: SnacksCuisine: ArabicDifficulty: Medium
Bread Pocket Shawarma | Homemade Chicken Shawarma. Any self-respecting meat-eater from anywhere in the world loves shawarma.
10 bread slices
250gms boneless chicken
2pinch turmeric powder
1/4+1/4tsp pepper powder
2pinch chilly powder
salt as required(1/2tsp)
1/2cup finely chopped onion
1/2cup chopped cucumber
1/2cup chopped cabbage
1/4cup tomato finely chopped
1/4cup chopped carrot
- Preparing Bread pockets
- For preparing bread pockets take10 bread slices.
- Roll out each bread slices to medium thin sheets using a rolling pin.
- Take 2 bread slices and place one over the other. Gently press both slices so that it will stick to each other.
- Now using a round cookie cutter or a lid cut it exactly at the center leaving away the brown corner ends of bread.[ Its better to use sandwich breads for this recipe]
- You will get a round shaped single bread slice.
- The sides of the bread will be sealed well, by the pressure applied while cutting.
- If in case there are any gaps that are unsealed, use little water on those areas & seal it off. Be cautious about sealing all the edges properly to avoid oil from entering inside the bread slices while frying.
- Prepare other slices also in the same way & keep it aside.
- Preparing bread crumbs
- For preparing bread crumbs add the remaining pieces of bread pockets that are cut apart into a medium hot pan.
- If keeping in medium flame you should mix well while it’s getting fired. In 3 min it will be fried crispy.
- If keeping in low flame just stir occasionally till its crispy.
- Now it is crispy. Switch off the flame & allow it to cool down.
- Once cooled transfer it to a blender or mixie & grind it coarsely.
- Preparing Egg wash
- Take a bowl. Add an egg, 1/2tsp sugar & 2tbsp milk & mix it well using a fork.(You can do this in another way by excluding milk & adding 2 egg whites instead.)
- Deep Frying
- Dip the bread pockets in egg wash & then roll it in bread crumbs. Repeat it for all bread pockets. [If you do not use egg you can spray milk on the bread pockets & roll it in bread crumbs.]
- Heat the oil in a frying pan & fry the bread slices in hot oil on medium heat until both sides are light golden brown. You can see the bread puffing up creating a pocket in the center.
- Let us fry other bread pockets as well & keep it aside.
- For Filling
- Firstly take 250 gms boneless chicken & cut it into small pieces.
- Marinate the chicken using 2pinch turmeric powder,2pinch chilly powder & 1/4tsp pepper powder & 1/2tsp salt. Mix this well & keep it aside for 10 min. You can Add ginger garlic paste at this stage if you need.
- Now add 2tsp oil in a pan & add the marinated chicken. Cook it well.
- You can either close the lid and cook chicken in low flame or cook it in high flame by mixing it now & then.
- going to cook & roast chicken some more time.
- Once roasted remove it from flame.
- For the filling, in a mixing bowl, add in 1/2cup chopped onions, 1/4cup finely chopped tomato, 1/2cup chopped cabbage, 1/2cup chopped cucumber, 1/4cup finely chopped carrot, 1/8tsp pepper powder, 1/4tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, & mix well.
- Add cooked chicken pieces & 3tbsp mayonnaise to the filling & mix it well.
- Preparing Bread pocket Shawarmas
- Now cut the fried and puffed bread pockets into two pieces using a knife.
- You can see the bread pockets are so perfect without any holes.
- Now add filling into the bread pockets one by one.
- Our yummy, delicious bread pocket shawarmas are ready to be served.