Baked Okra Fries | Oven Roasted Lady’s Finger | with step by step photos and video. A simple, flavorful, and an easy baked okra recipe. Seasoned with spices, this okra makes a great snack or side dish. Bake it instead of frying ! This method for roasted okra comes together quickly and tastes delicious – perfectly seasoned and a little crispy.
What is Okra?
Okra is technically a fruit, but is treated like a vegetable for cooking! It’s common in southern cooking and it’s a key part of meals. Rich in vitamins C and K and surprisingly has a good amount of protein in it! Okra naturally has a slimy texture to it (thanks to the sugar residue called mucilage) which is great for thickening things (like gumbo) but not great for someone that isn’t a fan of that texture. This method of cooking okra results in a crispy side dish, no slime!
How to buy & prep okra or lady’s finger ?
Select fresh and new okra. When shopping for okra, look for smooth, blemish-free, bright green pods. Avoid pods that have a dry end because this is an indicator that the okra has been sitting out on a shelf for a while. Okra is pretty perishable, so try to cook it within a day or two. In the meantime, store it in the refrigerator in a paper bag. Wash them and remove the dirt. Further dry them with a clean kitchen towel or tissue. Start by cutting away the stem from the okra and the very tip of the end. Carefully cut the okra lengthwise into 2 or 4 equal parts and place in a bowl for seasoning.
How to make baked okra fries | oven roasted lady’s finger ?
Baked Okra Fries | Oven Roasted Lady’s Finger | with step by step photos and video. An easy to do okra fries that can be paired with sambar rice or curd rice. Moreover, you can even fry them in hot oil. Once the okra prep is done, add the spices and mix them well. Do not add any water. After coating them in the masalas leave them for 10 to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, you can see that it has become moist and well coated in masalas. Further, transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake it.
In addition, I would like to highlight some of our trending side dish recipes.
- Chana | Chole | Chickpea Masala
- Mushroom Kurma Recipe | Kaalan Kuruma
- Spicy Chicken Roast
- Spicy Duck Roast Masala
- Spicy Mutton Roast Recipe | Mutton Fry
- Egg Masala Roast
- Kerala Style Egg Masala Recipe
Baked Okra Fries | Lady’s Finger FryCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Baked Okra Fries | Oven Roasted Lady’s Finger | with step by step photos and video. A simple, flavorful, and an easy baked okra recipe.
350 gm Okra or Lady’s Finger
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
Salt as Needed
1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Fennel Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
2 tbsp Besan Powder
Oil as needed
- Preheat an oven at 200 degree C or 400 F for 10 minutes.
- For prepping the okra or lady’s finger, clean them with water & pat them dry using a kitchen towel or tissues.
- Start by cutting away the stem from the okra and the very tip of the end. Carefully cut the okra lengthwise into 2 or 4 equal parts .
- Place them in a bowl or plate for seasoning.
- Start adding the spices one by one: 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 2 tsp Chilly Powder, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, Salt as Needed, 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder, 1/4 tsp Fennel Powder, 1/4 tsp Garam Masala, and 2 tbsp Besan Powder.
- Mix them using our fingers without adding water.
- Once it is combined well, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, you can see that it becomes moist and masala is well coated on the okra.
- Spread the lady’s finger on a baking tray or pan lined with parchment paper.
- Now spray or grease some cooking oil on the veggies.
- First, bake them for 15 minutes at 200 degrees. Take them out, flip the sides and again bake them for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- The oven roasted veggies are ready to be served.
- Do not add water while mixing with masalas. Upon sitting the veggies will become moist.
- Add the spice levels based on your choice.