Aval Ladoo | Poha Laddu | Atukula laddu | with step by step photos and video. A quick and delicious laddu made with poha, jaggery and ghee. Poha is flattened rice or parched rice.
A simple ladoo recipe made in south India, particularly in Tamil cuisine with beaten flat rice or thin poha. Moreover, the recipe is very easy to make without any complicated ingredients as it needs basic one easily available in most of the Indian kitchens.
Aval is a good source of carbohydrates, packed with iron, rich in fibre, a good source of antioxidants and essential vitamins and is gluten free. It is known to be good for those who have diabetes, skin and heart problems.
How to make aval or poha laddu?
Aval Ladoo | Poha Laddu | Atukula laddu | with step by step photos and video. You can use either red or white poha or aval for this recipe. Most of the recipes made using poha are quick and easy like this ladoo recipe. These are not only quick to make but also make for a good sweet snack for kids. You can even make it during poojas or during festivals.
Adding cashews and raisins makes it even more tastier. But you can skip adding dry fruits. Even without dry fruits, these tastes good. The main ingredient and the grated coconut are roasted until it turns crisp. Adding a pinch of turmeric brings out a nice color to this recipe. You can skip if you do not want the yellow color. If you find it difficult to shape the laddu, you can add a little more ghee.
Aval Ladoo| Poha LadduCourse: Dessert, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Aval Ladoo| Poha Laddu | Atukula laddu | with step by step photos and video. A quick and delicious laddu made with thick poha, jaggery and ghee
1 1/2 cup Aval (Poha/ Rice Flakes)
10 Cashew nuts
10 to 15 Raisins
3/4 cup Coconut (Grated)
1/2 tsp Cardamom (Powdered)
2 pinches of Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Sugar
1 cup Jaggery (Crushed)
2 tbsp Ghee
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and roast few cashews and raisins over a low flame. Transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan, roast 1½ cup poha over low flame until it turns crisp. Add a pinch of turmeric powder for a nice color and roast. Once roasted transfer to a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roast 3/4 cup of grated coconut. Add a pinch of turmeric. Roast on low flame until it turns dry and golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool down.
- Now transfer the roasted poha along with 1/2 tsp cardamom powder and grind to a fine powder.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Then add the roasted coconut along with 1 cup crushed jaggery and 1 tbsp sugar to a blender. Grind it finely.
- Transfer these ingredients to the same bowl.
- Now add the roasted cashews, raisins, and 1 tbsp ghee to these ingredients.
- Mix again and start shaping the ladoo. If you are not able to make the ladoo, then add ½ to 2 tablespoons more of the ghee. You have to keep on adding ghee till you can easily make the aval laddu.
- Shape into small poha laddu and keep aside.
- Serve the poha laddu or store them in a container and refrigerate.
- If you find it difficult to shape the laddu, you can add a little more ghee.