Anchovy | Nethili Fish Fry Recipe | with step by step photos & video. A quite easy and tasty appetizer. Crispy and spicy fish fry. Anchovies marinated with spices and then shallow fried.
The fish is supposedly high in calcium because we eat the bones too after frying it marinated in spice. You can definitely make nethili fry at home too with very simple ingredients and spices. Anchovy is also called nethili or chooda or netholi in different parts of India.
Health Benefits of Anchovies?
- Anchovies hold 131 calories per 100 g. Despite its small size, anchovy and its products offer unique nutritional and health benefits. It has essential fatty acids, protein, minerals, and vitamins.
- Being an oily fish, anchovies are an ideal source of vitamin A, vitamin D. More importantly a unique source long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (PUFA).
- Its protein is easily digestible and composes all the essential amino acids.
How to make Nethili Fish Fry Recipe?
Anchovy | Nethili Fish Fry Recipe | with step by step photos & video. Crunchy and spicy anchovies fry which is so delicious on its own as an appetizer or as a side dish with your lunch. The center bone is not hard as in other fish varieties so when fried can be eaten as such.
Firstly, the fish is easy to clean. Once cleaned & washed it is marinated with the spice mix & allowed to rest for a minimum of 60 minutes. Then the fish is deep-fried or shallow fried. Furthermore do see our other fish & seafood recipes too. Hope you would like them.
Follow me on Social to get instant updates
Anchovy | Nethili Fish Fry RecipeCourse: AppetizersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Anchovy | Nethili Fish Fry Recipe | with step by step photos & video. A quite easy and tasty appetizer. Crispy and spicy fishfry. Anchovies marinated with spices and then shallow fried.
500gms Nethili/Anchovies Fish
Oil for frying
fresh curry leaves
1 tbsp red chili powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper powder
1 tsp finely chopped curry leaves (optional)
salt as required
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 to 3 tbsp water
- Wash & clean the Nethili or Anchovies well in clean water twice or thrice.
- Marinade Preparation
- Firstly, add 1 tbsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper powder, 1 tsp finely, chopped curry leaves (optional), salt as required & 1 tbsp lemon juice in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix them well. Once mixed, sprinkle water little by little and make it to a paste form. I used nearly 3 tbsp of water. Now, our marinade is ready.
- Apply this marinade on the fish. Fish should be coated well.
- Set aside for at least an hour. It’s better to keep overnight.
- Deep or shallow fry the marinated Fish
- Heat enough oil in a flat pan.
- Add the marinated fish in batches to the pan.
- Fry the fish over low to medium flame until it turns into golden color and crispy.
- Finally, add some fresh curry leaves and fry them along with the fish. This is just for garnish and a flavor.
- Our yummy & spicy nethili fish fry is ready.
- Use red chili powder based on your spiciness level.