Aloo paratha Recipe | With step by step photos and video. Popular Indian breakfast of unleavened whole wheat flat-bread stuffed with a spiced potato stuffing. North India’s favorite breakfast. It is so filling and tasty that it is also enjoyed as dinner or lunch or breakfast.
Served with curd, curry, or loads of butter, this is a divine indulgence. In Punjabi families, parathas are made with lots of love and affection. Most of the time parathas are roasted with lots of ghee and then served with dollops of white butter. However, you can add less ghee and even roast the parathas with oil.
How to make aloo paratha recipe?
Aloo paratha Recipe | With step by step photos and video. A basic dough is made with whole wheat flour (atta), salt, oil and water is firstly prepared. The spiced mashed potatoes are then stuffed in a rolled dough and roasted or fried.
Paratha is best enjoyed with yogurt, pickle, and butter. But actually it is not easy to get this simple paratha recipe right. In fact, while rolling out the dough, the filling often comes out, spoiling the entire dish. But if you know some tips and tricks, you can nail this easy Aloo Paratha recipe. The first and foremost thing is that the potato used should not have been boiled immediately. You must always use cold potatoes or the filling becomes gooey.
Furthermore, do check out other breakfast recipes. Hope you would like them.
Aloo Paratha RecipeCourse: Breakfast, MainCuisine: Indian, PunjabiDifficulty: Easy
Aloo paratha Recipe | With step by step photos and video. Popular Indian breakfast of unleavened whole wheat flat-bread stuffed with a spiced potato stuffing.
- For dough
2 cups of Wheat Flour
Water as required
salt as required
- For Filling
2 Potatoes (medium size)
1 medium-size onion finely chopped
1 Green Chilli finely chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
3 tbsp Cooking oil
Salt as required
- Kneading Dough
- In a bowl take 2 cups whole wheat flour. Add ½ teaspoon salt or as required and mix well.
- Now add water little by little. Bring the mixture together and knead into a smooth soft dough.
- Cover and keep the dough aside.
- Firstly, boil 2 medium-sized potatoes. Add salt as required. You can boil or steam the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer.
- Peel & chop the boiled warm potatoes. Then mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a spoon. The potatoes should be mashed very well. There should not be any tiny bits of unmashed potatoes.
- Now add the finely chopped onion, green chilies, few coriander leaves, and salt if required. Now mix well.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai and crackle 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Switch off the flame & add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Pour this temper mix to the potato mix & combine everything well.
- Preparing Aloo Paratha
- Pinch medium sized balls from the dough. Using our hands’ press gently and make a wide opening in the center of the dough.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of stuffing in the center. Don’t overfill else it will be difficult to roll. Bring all the edges together and pinch to seal the edges.
- Sprinkle some flour & flatten the dough ball using your rolling pin, roll the dough uniformly. The trick here is to apply equal pressure while rolling. If you do that, your paratha will turn round automatically.
- Transfer the rolled paratha onto the hot tawa.
- Cook the side for a minute or two and then flip over. Apply oil on the half-cooked side and flip again.
- Now apply oil on the other side as well. Press with a spatula and cook the paratha till both sides have golden brown spots on them.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- Serve aloo paratha hot with butter, pickle, curd or curry of your choice.
- Adjust spice levels to taste.
- Don’t overfill the dough with the filling, else it will be difficult to roll.
- To flatten or roll the dough uniformly, the tricks here is to apply equal pressure while rolling. If you do that, your paratha will turn round automatically.